• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any ideas on this Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ispy12

32 Cal
Reaction score
I mentioned in my introduction that I love to shoot front stuffers. I mostly shoot TC products like my patriot pistol and Penn Match Rifle. Obviously the Hawkens as well, and I have a Pedersoli rolling block that is quite a bit of fun.
This one I have never shot and purchased because I like the quality. I have decided to start shooting it so I need to take it apart. I did remove the wedge pins when I got it and no way the barrel just tilts up. I probably need to take the entire thing down but it is so well fit I haven't had time to monkey with it.

Anyhow, here are some pics of this Hawken, and I actually purchased it because I like the green tint (I know, heresy!) of the old magic maple but really loved the rear sight and triggers. So if anyone knows anything about this Hawken and feature set, I would love some info. I don't have a clue about this one.

Attachments

• H lock.jpg
    H lock.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 142
  • H sight.jpg
    H sight.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 134
  • H stamp.jpg
    H stamp.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 127
I would loosen the screws/bolts in the tang . . . .before attempting to lift the barrel.

"I have decided to start shooting it so I need to take it apart."

Why do you think you need to take it apart before you shoot it?

"I did remove the wedge pins when I got it and no way the barrel just tilts up."

Are you sure it has a hooked breech? Though it is a Hawken style rifle it doesn't have to have, breech plug and tang could be one piece.

That's one beautiful rifle. :thumb:

Very pretty gun. Really nice figure in the wood.

Other than a general cleaning of the bore and lock, there's probably no reason for further disassembly -unless there's something known to be wrong. If it doesn't have a hooked breech, pulling the barrel risks damaging the inletting of the tang each time.

I mentioned in my introduction that I love to shoot front stuffers. I mostly shoot TC products like my patriot pistol and Penn Match Rifle. Obviously the Hawkens as well, and I have a Pedersoli rolling block that is quite a bit of fun.
This one I have never shot and purchased because I like the quality. I have decided to start shooting it so I need to take it apart. I did remove the wedge pins when I got it and no way the barrel just tilts up. I probably need to take the entire thing down but it is so well fit I haven't had time to monkey with it.

Anyhow, here are some pics of this Hawken, and I actually purchased it because I like the green tint (I know, heresy!) of the old magic maple but really loved the rear sight and triggers. So if anyone knows anything about this Hawken and feature set, I would love some info. I don't have a clue about this one.
Wow. Nice find. Enjoy shooting it!

almost guarantee the lock bolt goes through the back of the breach plug arch. it shows just a little under the cock on the plate face and looks directly in line.
take it out first, or like stated above take all screws etc out, then try to remove the barrel by turning the rifle inverted and tapping the butt gently to dislodge the tang. prying a barrel up from the muzzle end can damage the tang inlet.

Thanks for the replies. I should have defined taking it apart is only for me to document the parts and pieces...I'd like to know what type of lock it is, if there are any builder marks, etc. I haven't made the time to give it a really good once over, and every time I pick it up, I am impressed with the build quality...very well put together. Ideally, I would like to know who the builder was. I have never come across that name but since I live in Colorado I thought the fact it was from Denver was a sign to acquire it. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I will post up a range report once I get it rolling. I don't anticipate that happening until mid-May.

The 50 cal TC Hawken I use to have, you had to pull the ramrod out of the foreshock to take the barrel completely off. Same with my Lyman’s 54 cal trade rifle.

Back