• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any ideas on this flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2E849C86-AC90-45D4-A7E0-D8946E3063DE.jpeg 92D367B9-1F53-4061-B404-81ECAA95D3B5.jpeg 416B931B-56F0-4F93-AB91-776658064A34.jpeg 6A3F16AE-7189-424A-999A-D44AA8050D11.jpeg B01E25AF-600D-415C-B9CC-66E068393F3A.jpeg 547DDFEC-9CA7-41F8-816B-F0745515329A.jpeg 4A8979CC-FE78-4E3A-AB33-716297EB5BD3.jpeg 18168BDB-EABD-43F4-BD05-583B6B166DE6.jpeg 56C9125C-F466-4AC8-82E9-4458BB9A95E4.jpeg 53D8A708-F03E-4840-BB4D-E9DD462DEFB0.jpeg A friend asked me if I wanted to purchase this from him. Thing is, I’m not a lefty. It has no markings on it but appears to be a .45 cal. Does anyone have any ideas as to maker or is it an early kit build or perhaps a build by someone who accumulated parts. Also a value range if you cared to guess.

It sure does Russ. I think of how some leftys can shoot right handed guns and how totally bizarre itd be for me to shoot a left handed one. Thats a nice looker there for sure.

Have you taken the lock out to look for any maker's mark? It has the faceted pan associated with a German style. It may he a Siler lock with the tail of the plate rounded and emphasizing the tip.

Have you removed the barrel to see if the barrel maker's name is stamped on the bottom flat?

What is the barrel length?

It appears to be a well made gun assembled from a selection of parts. A kit build.

Hi,
The lock looks like a Cochran or one of the Italian copies made during the 1970s-1980s. They were pretty good locks. The maple stock has nice figure and looks like the product of a hobby builder from that time period. The workmanship and carving looks competently done. The wide ugly lock panels seem to have been very common during those days and I think largely because hobby makers then did not have easy access to images or collections of original long rifles to see how they really looked. Behind the flint cock you can see a dent in the lock molding. That is from the bend in the flint cock when it it pulled to full cock position and results because the lock panel is way too wide. The images below show a rifle I made based on an original gun by John Noll made around 1800. It has a lock somewhat like yours and you can see how the lock panels are done.
y1NQwxb.jpg

P1rM81N.jpg

For value, I'd say around $1500 if the barrel and lock are in good shape and everything works as it should.

dave

It looks to be a fairly well made modern rifle. Not a kit but of new parts. Your photos aren’t clear enough for me but if it’s closely inlet the over all lines are good. The only short comings I can make out is the lock panels are too large and that’s a big front sight. For value with out having it in hand I’d start at $800.
I hadn’t seen Dave’s post and would put more weight on his knowledge then mine.

Hey, thank you all for your replies and estimations.
Grenadier, Its not my rifle or I would have the barrel and lock both off and checked. I am sorely tempted to take him up on his offer, but then Id have to learn to shoot left handed or be horse trading it for something else.
Dave, I agree with you that the lock panel is too wide, but that was all I could find negative. I figured it could be narrowed up if I wanted to refinish the whole stock, which would be a fair bit of work with all the carving. But Ive done harder refinish jobs on checkered stocks. As far as the fit and function, everything seemed real good. I sure hope my friend doesn’t see your value estimate tho! At least if I was buying, which Im not sure of. I also want to say that you sure build a graceful looking rifle!
And Phil, I know the pictures aren’t super, but just cell phone types. That was also my thought when looking it over, that it was built from good quality parts some time ago.

For what it is worth, I picked up a Tingle left hand percussion rifle a month ago. I shot it right handed and wasn’t bothered by it being a lefty. Our left handed friends have been using right hand guns for years. If you already shoot flint it may not be much of a challenge to shoot a left handed gun.

It is a nice rifle and if the price is right give it a go. I’m sure there are left handed guys here who would take it off your hands if you decide you don’t want it.

Poker,
Are you right or left eye dominant ? I am Left dominant , ambidextrous and mostly shoot right hand but because I am left dominant I have no problem shooting a left handed rifle . I however could not shoot a left handed rifle right handed and hit anything , I tried and for me it don't work with a flint rifle . I can swap with a caplock no problem .

Dave ,
That is one beautiful rifle !

Eddie

Back