• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any ideas on how i canbuse a .50 hawken for squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another barrel that fits your stock is a possibility if a complete gun is out of the budget.

I understand the desire for efficiency, but if you look at it strictly in terms of the actual difference between the 50 cal ball and a smaller one, there isnt much real difference in cost or lead used over a year of squirrel hunting.

I shot a few squirrels with a 50 prb with 70 grs powder, it worked very well, doesnt tear them up, just a large clean hole. The question if if its safe in your area is one you will have to answer.

If you like to squirrel hunt like I do, I’d really consider getting a small bore just for squirrels. I have three and love hunting with them.
If not in your budget, don’t know what to tell you. .40 is as big as we can use here in PA.

I tend to Agree with Eric. If you want to use the same muzzleloader for both small and medium sized game it seems it would be more efficient to use components that you are already using than add 2-3 extra components.

Just develop a shot load for your .50. I made paper shot pouiches filled with11/2 ounce #6 shot. Loaded with 70gr 2f with cushion wad on top of powder, Would take game out to about 30yds on a good day. Never did any damage to the rifled barrel according to my bore scope.

Just develop a shot load for your .50. I made paper shot pouiches filled with11/2 ounce #6 shot. Loaded with 70gr 2f with cushion wad on top of powder, Would take game out to about 30yds on a good day. Never did any damage to the rifled barrel according to my bore scope.
That's genius

Rifling wont mess it up?

Hmmm... I wonder how an unmentionable .410 shot cup of 7 1/2's, loaded between 2 .50 cal felt wads, over an appropriate powder charge might work...?
Sounds like an interesting experiment for my old CVA St. Louis Hawken...

More on the light load; like I said, my rifle was fairly quiet to shoot with the light load. I was squirrel hunting one evening and found an oak tree that the squirrels were having a dinner party in, there were at least 10 squirrels in the tree, it was fully leafed out so the squirrels couldn't see me. I would shoot a squirrel with my .50 and the rest of the nut crackers would stop feeding briefly and then start the party back up again. I killed 7 squirrels out of that one tree before the rest caught on, panicked and fled.

Barking is the worst thing to do. It almost never kills or stuns enough. I tryed it once since a .44 mag is just too much. By the time I just shot him, he had no hair left on his body.
Just head shoot with the .50 and be done with it.

If you try the plastic shot cups try melting the petals together or some strong tape around them this will help hold a tighter pattern .otherwise the spin from the rifling will spread the shot all over the place and you will not have a pattern that will kill

Back in the ‘80’s I used my .50 Renegade for squirrel hunting a few times. Only load it would shoot accurately was a .490 PRB with 90 grains of pyrodex. Went hunting with a friend once and had a little wager. Who ever had the most head shots wins $20. He was using a scoped .22. He ended up with 4 squirrels, none head shot. I had three with all head shots. So yes a fifty will work plus gives practice that’ll come in handy for deer season.

More on the light load; like I said, my rifle was fairly quiet to shoot with the light load. I was squirrel hunting one evening and found an oak tree that the squirrels were having a dinner party in, there were at least 10 squirrels in the tree, it was fully leafed out so the squirrels couldn't see me. I would shoot a squirrel with my .50 and the rest of the nut crackers would stop feeding briefly and then start the party back up again. I killed 7 squirrels out of that one tree before the rest caught on, panicked and fled.
That's awesome, Eric! Now that's the way to do it.

I have a .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle that I hunt gray squirrels with. Its a real hoot. Economical and light weight as well.

Spring squirrel season opens here on the 20th and I am giving serious consideration of trying my .54 GPR on some squirrels. Shot one years ago with a .54 Renegade using a deer load. I would have thought for certain it would blow the squirrel to pieces but it didn't. Think I will try a reduced load, as you contend, and see how accurate my .54 is like that. If its accurate, then it will most likely be going to the woods with me soon.

Latest posts

Back