• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any ideas on how i canbuse a .50 hawken for squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a .50 TC Renegade that was incredibly accurate with a patched ball. I killed a lot of squirrels with at 25 yards or less by loading it down to the point that it hardly went bang, more of a BLOOP. I made head shots with it with no problems. This was 40 years ago so I don't remember how much 2F I used but I think it was 15 gr or so.

When I head shot a squirrel the ball would only cut a neat crescent out of the skull where it hit and not blow the head off.

I had a .50 TC Renegade that was incredibly accurate with a patched ball. I killed a lot of squirrels with at 25 yards or less by loading it down to the point that it hardly went bang, more of a BLOOP. I made head shots with it with no problems. This was 40 years ago so I don't remember how much 2F I used but I think it was 15 gr or so.

When I head shot a squirrel the ball would only cut a neat crescent out of the skull where it hit and not blow the head off.
I'm trying to avoid slinging that much lead for the sake of efficiency. I dont want to waste that much lead any other ideas?

When I had a 50 cal. TC Hawken squirrels were legal during the early muzzleloader deer season. I was loaded for deer, I just tried for head shots. Even when I missed and hit the chest area the damage wasn't that great. Just a round hole through the chest.

Bark 'em.
So I did that 3 times with my .54, as an experiment
My hunting buddy then said, "Hey Dave, where do those round balls go when you have shot upwards through the small branch the squirrel is walking across?"
Since where I hunt is surrounded by other properties and I couldn't answer the question, I haven't done that since.

LD

So no one thinks a patched 36 in a 50 would work. Barrel is a 1in48 twist same twist as some 36 squirrel rifles.
It's doubtful that you're going to be able to impart a spin on the ball, so the accuracy will falter.

Have you considered maybe getting a .36 Cap-n-ball revolver, and carrying that when you take your .50 into the woods? (Hey it's an excuse for another, and different type of BP gun.) ;)

LD

So no one thinks a patched 36 in a 50 would work. Barrel is a 1in48 twist same twist as some 36 squirrel rifles.

You could try a .40 ball with a sabot. The ball has to press out against the sabot hard enough to engage the rifling. A .36 probably won’t press out enough, but a .40 might. You might find someone here who could sell you a partial box cheap if you ask.

Even with 3 or 4 patches to get it up to size. I'll just have to try ot some time. I can guess all I want but the proof is in the pudding 👍🙂

Well, the problem is gripping of the ball. Multiple layers means multiple places for the grip to slip.
On the other hand you might try a piece of leather with the outer side greased for lubrication against the barrel, instead. Genuine Chamois from the auto parts store, or deer hide might be just the right thickness and compression to take up the gap, and give your projectile the grip needed to impart the spin.

LD

Wasting lead? Lead is cheap, in reality your best bet is to buy a squirrel caliber rifle so you can get more bang for your buck as far as lead and powder is concerned, this also gives you a valid reason to buy another rifle, we all need another one.
Lead is cheap but I load and cast for things outside of black powder. And I'm a stickler for efficiency. And a flintlock squirrel rifle is just too much $

Back