• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any idea what kind of barrel this is.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few days ago I was shooting my Baker Rifle at a friend's farm and he mentioned that he found a old musket barrel on the attic under some floor boards (house built in 1803). He brought it out. It has a 69 cal. bore, a hole drilled for a vent 46.5 inches from muzzle and a bayonet lug close to muzzle. It is rusted and pitted with no visible proof marks. My idea is it could have been from a French Charleville musket or an early US musket that were copies of French design. He said they also found papers where someone was applying for a pension from the war of 1812 in the attic. Any ideas on how to better identify it?

20230210_150715[1].jpg

That's a pretty cool piece of history right there. I'd personally geek out on trying to tie the person on the paperwork to the barrel historically. Done that with some finds on my property but that's probably a story for another forum section.

A few days ago I was shooting my Baker Rifle at a friend's farm and he mentioned that he found a old musket barrel on the attic under some floor boards (house built in 1803). He brought it out. It has a 69 cal. bore, a hole drilled for a vent 46.5 inches from muzzle and a bayonet lug close to muzzle. It is rusted and pitted with no visible proof marks. My idea is it could have been from a French Charleville musket or an early US musket that were copies of French design. He said they also found papers where someone was applying for a pension from the war of 1812 in the attic. Any ideas on how to better identify it?

View attachment 198077
So ....what is the inside diameter / caliber , what is the total length of the barrel ( tang not included ) , the diameter of the breech , its round the entire Length , no flats , right ? Any proofs or stamps present at the breech ?

Back