Any good sources on daily life in Mexican California?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

springfield art

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Zorro was written by an Irish writer long after the period and never set foot in California. As the Irish say pure "Blarney"
As a Kid I enjoyed the movie matine` Zorro stories just like Hawkye and many others. Mike Hammer anyone ?

Buzz
Hilarious how the fat sergeant always wore a girdle, which would be exposed to much laughter.

Reaction score
I thought Zorro was set during the Spanish period? Also I'm not sure as to the historical accuracy of those films. Was thinking more of either primary documentation or academic studies.
Did you really mention the "Historical accuracy" of a Hollywood movie?😊😀😂😅

Crane Senior

40 Cal
Reaction score
Yount , We still have a town called Yountville, northaest of San Francisco bay.
In the newer versions of history we are told that California was
stollen from Mexico but not from whom the spainairds and subsequently the Mexicans stole it from.
The Californios as the inhabitants called themselves were very unhappy with the Mexican governments indifference to their needs and desires plus that mot onerus of all governmental greed TAXES.
They subsequently joined with Fremont and many other Americans to creat the Republic of California , A short lived country like Texas.

Buzz
Looks like somethings never change - TAXES!

Paul Nelson

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm curious to learn what daily life was like in what's now the state of California during the Mexican period (ca. 1821-1848). I know there were some English-speaking settlers already coming to the region during the 1830s, as well as American and British ships visiting to engage in the California hide trade, so maybe that could provide us a window into California under Mexican rule for those of us who can't read Spanish. Although if there are any translations or works done in English on the lives of local "Californios", that would be equally interesting to me.

I'm also aware that the Russians had the Ross colony in California during this period, so there's a third angle that I'd love to read about when it comes to Californian life and society in this period.
Also check out French Camp near Stockton they had their own rendezvous

Mad Michael

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious to learn what daily life was like in what's now the state of California during the Mexican period (ca. 1821-1848).
Are you interested in the dress of the period or are you just looking for primary and secondary sources on life style?.
Will tertiary and compiled sources do?
Are you interested in native lifestyles or just Califorñio?
Mad Michael

Latest posts