• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Good Matchlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ataliste

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to muzzleloading and only have 2 Flintlocks. Does anyone make a good matchlock?
MVTCO i'm debating on, Veteran arms and Loyalist seem to be the same exact musket.
Just weighing my options

Veteran Arms and Loyalist Arms both sell indian made pieces, so unless there are other options the answer is no. The Rifle Shoppe has parts and kits, but they aren't the most responsive. I have made two inquiries to them over the years. One was never answered, and the other one was answered several months later after I had forgotten about it. I've heard about others having better luck so there's no harm trying them.

I made this a few years ago.
20201102_224344.jpg

Yes, above as shown, that is indeed a ‘hand cannon’ or hand gonne.

Many years ago I had the 75-cal fishtail matchlock from Middlesex Village Trading. I proofed it w/ a heavy charge & 2 balls, w/ the barrel tied to a tire and all was well. I had taken measurements to 0.0001” of an inch every 1/2” and there was no change. For ‘what it was’ (keep that in mind) it was well made enough to be safe & 100% reliable and I shot it for years before I upgraded to one by Brian Anderson of Bristol, VT.

FWIW just last week Brian told me that he is now making his own snapping matchlocks, going for $1,200, or roughly 2X that of an Indian import option. Brian would be an IDEAL builder to make you or anyone a matchlock, if your budget could go that high, as he is indeed a master of the early arms, as well as an accomplished gunsmith and blacksmith.

Echoing Flint62, anything Brian Anderson makes you will balance perfectly and shoulder perfectly. He can make you a museum quality copy or a graceful pastiche of an original firearm. I own one of his guns and have fired or shouldered a number. They all feel "just so."

Veteran Arms and Loyalist Arms both sell indian made pieces, so unless there are other options the answer is no. The Rifle Shoppe has parts and kits, but they aren't the most responsive. I have made two inquiries to them over the years. One was never answered, and the other one was answered several months later after I had forgotten about it. I've heard about others having better luck so there's no harm trying them.
I have had better luck by calling. I got a Swedish snaphaunse musket and a Dutch matchlock ; both with assembled locks within weeks of ordering; but that was several years ago.

That was my copy of the Tannenberg Gonne. I machined the barrel from 932 bronze and finished the flats with a file, as the original was done. The tiller is a red oak dowel shaved to an octagon profile and finished with linseed oil. I made the serpentine from a steel rod after I moved up here to Redding, I also made a batch of serpentine powder from an old recipe just to see if I could do it, and made the slow match from hemp chord soaked in potassium nitrate solution.

I rely like MATCH LOCK'S. I have two oh them. a FISH TAIL CLUB BUTT & an OPENELL.! I shoot both of them an a regular basis!

I have a matchlock from Loyalist, shoot both live shot and blanks (for museum demonstrations). Quite happy with it, Loyalist is an established business and offers a warranty.

I have several one from middlesex village trading very good musket one from Veteran arms very good shooter one from Historical twist in Canada identical to the one offered by veteran arms all of these muskets get heavy use no issues with them .the best price comes from Historical Twist 449 dollars plus shipping come unvented not a problem to deal with as I Been around this stuff for very long time I am a gunsmith I proofed it no issues has become my favorite 44 inch barrel 12 gauge 74 cal service load for hunting 2 drams (81 gains) 2 ff an once and 1/4 once of no 6 shot or 4 shot so far this year 2 peasants 1 turkey 5 squirrels 1 rabbit summer reenactment s and heavy range use .Very well made rugged authentic enough will last for ever with proper care .I also have Several made by John Buck and a Japanese matchlock made by Moroko imported about 20 years ago by Dixie gun works neat gun snapping lock typical traditional Japanese gun .been shooting matchlocks for over 45 years my first match lock was made by Dale Shinn in California back in the early 70 s still shoot it occasionally

Can you show pics of the ‘Openell’??? Have never heard the term ... and yet have a book on m’locks to boot ...
I rely wish that I could. but this peice of SH$T laptop BANG & OLUFSEN that I have won't let me do it. I can tell you that it is 50 CAL, and in CARBINE LEGENTH, a flared cannon barell. it has a pan cover that when you close it to carry loaded, it will snap open when the tiller no trigger, is pulled to shoot it. it has a leather bitt pad with brass nails tacked to it to hold it on. it has a BEECH / BLOND stock. I can only hope that this information helps you. I have seen OPENELL'S, listed on sites that I posted on for info. the SPANISH, I beleaved carried them in the jungles of CENTRAL AMERICA, because that they were short & rely easy to negotiate in the thick foliage.

I have several one from middlesex village trading very good musket one from Veteran arms very good shooter one from Historical twist in Canada identical to the one offered by veteran arms all of these muskets get heavy use no issues with them .the best price comes from Historical Twist 449 dollars plus shipping come unvented not a problem to deal with as I Been around this stuff for very long time I am a gunsmith I proofed it no issues has become my favorite 44 inch barrel 12 gauge 74 cal service load for hunting 2 drams (81 gains) 2 ff an once and 1/4 once of no 6 shot or 4 shot so far this year 2 peasants 1 turkey 5 squirrels 1 rabbit summer reenactment s and heavy range use .Very well made rugged authentic enough will last for ever with proper care .I also have Several made by John Buck and a Japanese matchlock made by Moroko imported about 20 years ago by Dixie gun works neat gun snapping lock typical traditional Japanese gun .been shooting matchlocks for over 45 years my first match lock was made by Dale Shinn in California back in the early 70 s still shoot it occasionally
you sir are certainly a frequent flyer when it comes to ROPE LOCKE'S! YOU JUST GOTTA LUVE EM!!

Back