• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Fiddle heads yet ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well...it’s about that time....been looking but no luck yet....might have to put on a mask,and go to the grocery store.

Still early yet here, but probably in 2 - 3 weeks the bar ditches will be filled with them. I have never seen them in the stores, maybe because they grow like weeds here.

You guys know what a fiddlehead was but dumb ol' me had to google it.

For folks who don't know, check out this video. Because there are other types of fern's that might be mistaken for a fiddlehead and some of these can make you sick, it's a good idea to know what to look for.

Well I learned something new today! Y'all eat these?

Guess this Texan will have to put this on my list for my first trip to Maine!

T

One of the first green things to appear after the snow melts.
They are a wild allium. Some call them wild onions, or leeks
You'll find them in better supermarkets in the spring.

1588725039214.png

1588724922220.png

Pick the right ones if you come up. Ostrich ferns are the only ones up here with concave stems. Round stems will make you wish you had not tried them.
Also....please. If you pick fiddleheads only pick a few from each plant. They only make so many each spring. If you don't leave half the plant will die.

I'm not sure if you can eat them or not but the haysented ferns common here in South Central PA have already elongated.

I used to go with my mother, father, and grand father each spring and pick them. we and every body back then 1950 would be out and gather them. yes they are the best boiled up. every one here in RHODE ISLAND called them BREAKS, I think be cause they were the first to BREAK THE SOIL. on my first trip out when I shoed my batch, my mother said you can't eat them, what you picked was indeed FERNS., NON EDIBILE. my mother would put salt& pepper and butter on them as good as a steak, back in the day. we also ate DANDILIONS. those days were simpler and people ate what was called COMFORT FOOD.

we also ate DANDILIONS.

I have not been able to develop a taste for dandelion greens, too bitter. The root make an ok coffee substitute. The flowers are nice in a salad or to make wine.

Fiddle heads, ramps soon, starting to find a few morels never harvested dandelions but would harvest land cress when younger there was a local market whom would buy all the cress you could bring.

And...Poke, don't forget to pick Poke early. The longer red colored leaves (6 in>) are red veined and can make you sick. Some people boil the leaves three times before eating. Mix with Chickweed and two fresh eggs...good eat'en!

Cobra 6

Back