• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any chance we'll see powder from Goex in 2023 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black powder is also used in fireworks and in blasting some rock in quarries. When I bought a case of Swiss last year from a distributor he was telling me that he also sells to fireworks manufacturers and to VA Tech. They use it to blast rock to build some of their buildings

You'd be amazed at how much they use and it isn't for "guns". It's used in all manner of munitions, rocket components, artillery primers, ejection seat ignitors and that just scratches the surface. Make no mistake here, the civilian market is nowhere near as large as Uncle Sam and he has a bottomless wallet 😜
Demolition fuses also use black powder.

It doesn't seem like black powder is at all similar to the stuff that is in Estes model rockets. The charge in them doesn't go bang - at least you hope it doesn't! It goes fizzz and takes a long time to burn up a little cylinder the size of your thumb.
If black powder isn't going to be available in local shops, and substitute powders are - that's what I'm going to use. I don't like that so much, but that's just the way the world is going.

It doesn't seem like black powder is at all similar to the stuff that is in Estes model rockets. The charge in them doesn't go bang - at least you hope it doesn't! It goes fizzz and takes a long time to burn up a little cylinder the size of your thumb.
If black powder isn't going to be available in local shops, and substitute powders are - that's what I'm going to use. I don't like that so much, but that's just the way the world is going.
You can have real black powder shipped right to your door.

We'll all I've seen from the Goex reps were saying powder in our hands by first quarter 2023 . Haven't heard any updates since this summer at Friendship. Any one any insider info. or just want to take a guess if they actually deliver ? I'm debating stocking up on more Schutzen or holding out for good ol' made in the USA Goex. Your thoughts ?

Why not send Goex and e-mail and ask them? Odds are they would know.

We'll all I've seen from the Goex reps were saying powder in our hands by first quarter 2023 . Haven't heard any updates since this summer at Friendship. Any one any insider info. or just want to take a guess if they actually deliver ? I'm debating stocking up on more Schutzen or holding out for good ol' made in the USA Goex. Your thoughts ?
FWIW. Last August I was in a gun store in NH that sells black powder. The owner told me his powder distributor told him to plan for Goex deliveries in the Summer of 2023.

Estes Rocket engines were largely made from Goex powder. It was more of a matter of survival for them. I'm guessing it was a less expensive and more timely route to take to buy the Goex plant and put in the needed upgrades than dance thru the hoops and the extended time to relocate and build a new plant somewhere.

It is. In fact, there are websites out there that sell kits to make your own rocket engines using black powder.

Also, Estes seems to have had the sense to work out some serious financial arrangements with Uncle.

You can be sure that there has been much work, renovation and safety improvements being done over the past year and I'm pretty sure that the more time, effort and money that goes into it the better will be the results for the ML community.

Estes seems to be run by some
You can have real black powder shipped right to your door.

You can have any powder shipped to your door. But it sure is cheaper when it's on the shelf. Hazmat by the pound is spendy at my door. Even in larger quantities! It will be much better when it hits the LGS.
There are places and situations where sensible folks cannot have powder shipped to their home.

You can have any powder shipped to your door. But it sure is cheaper when it's on the shelf. Hazmat by the pound is spendy at my door. Even in larger quantities! It will be much better when it hits the LGS.
I live in Iowa. I haven't seen real black powder in a gunshop in 30 years. Since I go to F ship a couple times a year I always make sure to get 10lbs or so. No hazmat there either. BUT, I'd gladly pay the hazmat fee instead of resorting to fake powder.

I live in Iowa. I haven't seen real black powder in a gunshop in 30 years. Since I go to F ship a couple times a year I always make sure to get 10lbs or so. No hazmat there either. BUT, I'd gladly pay the hazmat fee instead of resorting to fake powder.
I'm not saying this as an attack or even a doubt on anything you've said, but I can hardly believe Iowa wouldn't have shops that cater to our style of hunting. I suppose the shops there might service modern weapons. Sorry you don't have a local shop to deal with.

I wonder if we will see an improvement in the quality of powder. Since Estes has their own consumer products that use black powder, they have an incentive to make better quality powder. If I recall correctly, model rocket engines are regulated by the amount of propellant in them, and not the power output. So a better powder would give them more performance for the same amount of product.

Guys, I've been using the holy black and ahem (smokeless), for over 40 years. Time was 40 years back, you could find the holy black regularly on the shelves of your LGS. Fast forward to the present, with storage regulations, shipping issues, costs for inventory, and insurance, it's going to be a very, very rare thing for a LGS to stock black powder on their shelves. So if you're looking for it at a brick and mortar LGS near you, you're almost certain to be disappointed.

To continue to use real black powder, you have to deal with shipping OR, go to a source. There are a number of options to getting it shipped, join a NMLRA Charter Club, be friends with a reenactor group, or organize a group buy with like minded friends. Past that, if your travels take you near a location that is known to stock it, then by all means, make that stop, but quit whining about it NOT being on your LGS shelves cuz unless there's a sea change in regulations, it's not going to happen.

I shoot competition with the N-SSA. At the exit to our main range in Winchester VA, is Back Creek Gun Shop. They don't carry guns, and are an active farm if you look them up on the interwebs but, follow that road going into the pastures and you'll see a big powder magazine. Since BCGS is the main supplier for the N-SSA, I'd venture to say they're very likely to be one of, if not the, largest supplier of real black powder in the country for civilian use. They're large enough for the mucky muckys of Estes, Wano and Scheutzen to pay a personal visit last summer. If you doubt my assertion about powder consumption, reference this post, it covers only small arms competition and doesn't include artillery consumption of black powder or any regional consumption-

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...ds-have-too-little-to-do.150091/#post-2129590

The owner of Back Creek Gun Shop has told me he is probably #4 on the list of the top 10 distributors in the country. Not only does he sell to the N-SSA he also supplies the powder to many of the large dealers all of you buy from. He also sell a lot of blasting powder to some of the quarries around here. They prefer it to dynamite because of the way it fractures the rock. I'll be having lunch with a group of skirmishers in a little over an hour and he'll be among them. If I remember (getting harder all the time) I'll try to get an update from him.

My hope is that Estes focuses on bringing 1 quality powder to the market instead of having a standard Goex vs Goex Olde Eynsford. I have shot both and have developed loads using both and Olde Eynsford was a better powder all around. On the other hand I did not get the same results using Swiss Caviar grade powder as standard Swiss shot much better and I ended up giving the Caviar Grade 3f away. Just hope they get up and running and produce a quality, affordable powder that they can produce in a sufficient quantity to meet shooters needs.

Back