• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

any canoe paddle makers out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I enjoy carving canoe paddles and painting them with either documented fur trade designs or coming up with my own. I usually use ash or maple. Anyone else make paddles? Here are a couple I've made.

IMG_7085.JPG
IMG_7110.JPG
IMG_E7114.JPG

I made an Eskimo style kayak paddle from an ash log and also a beaver tail canoe paddle for my son from a cherry board. An axe and drawshave for the rough work and a spoke shave for the fine.
Yep, most of my shaping is with a hewing hatchet followed by a drawknife and spokeshave

I grew up in a small community called South Thompson in Georgia. There was a local outdoorsman there who made hand carved paddles and sold them or gifted them. He gave my dad a set, and they’ve disappeared over the years. I often think about using those paddles growing up on the Ohoopee and Altamaha rivers. Thanks for sharing; those look amazing!

Those grips and paint jobs look awesome. Do you put your work up for sale? I make a couple single piece ottertails a year. Not a fan of laminate paddles. I mostly use Cherry, Ash dulls up my spokeshave quick.
Really nice job dude.

Those grips and paint jobs look awesome. Do you put your work up for sale? I make a couple single piece ottertails a year. Not a fan of laminate paddles. I mostly use Cherry, Ash dulls up my spokeshave quick.
Really nice job dude.
Thanks! Yes I do sell them, mostly to folks who ask me to make them a paddle. Occasionally I'll make one that wasn't commissioned and put it up for sale online.
Same as you, I prefer single piece paddles over laminates. I like to chop out paddles at Old Fort Niagara as a historical interpretive activity too.
I made this paddle out of cherry this spring.
cherry paddle 2020.jpg

Hi, anyone on here that would consider making me a set of paddles? Thanks

Attachments

• birchbark canoe replica.jpg
    birchbark canoe replica.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 127
I made one once a gazillion years ago. I was in about 9th or 10th grade, summer time. Only mine came to a sort of blunt point at the bottom because that is what the instructor said the "Indian" canoe paddles looked like. Used it all summer and then gave it away because I had no canoe at home. Never painted mine. As I recall it was made from a red maple log about 5 ft long and 12 inches wide. We planned out and then started hacking chips away.

I made one out of cherry at a class at the Blue Mountain Lake Museum a couple years ago. the class was a Xmas gift from my girlfriend, and one of the best gifts I’ve ever received. Can’t bring myself to use it.

Latest posts

Back