54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Tom A Hawk

58 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I made an Eskimo style kayak paddle from an ash log and also a beaver tail canoe paddle for my son from a cherry board. An axe and drawshave for the rough work and a spoke shave for the fine.

markh

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I made an Eskimo style kayak paddle from an ash log and also a beaver tail canoe paddle for my son from a cherry board. An axe and drawshave for the rough work and a spoke shave for the fine.
Yep, most of my shaping is with a hewing hatchet followed by a drawknife and spokeshave

JohnL

40 Cal
Reaction score
I grew up in a small community called South Thompson in Georgia. There was a local outdoorsman there who made hand carved paddles and sold them or gifted them. He gave my dad a set, and they’ve disappeared over the years. I often think about using those paddles growing up on the Ohoopee and Altamaha rivers. Thanks for sharing; those look amazing!

Rató:rats

40 Cal
Reaction score
Those grips and paint jobs look awesome. Do you put your work up for sale? I make a couple single piece ottertails a year. Not a fan of laminate paddles. I mostly use Cherry, Ash dulls up my spokeshave quick.
Really nice job dude.

markh

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Those grips and paint jobs look awesome. Do you put your work up for sale? I make a couple single piece ottertails a year. Not a fan of laminate paddles. I mostly use Cherry, Ash dulls up my spokeshave quick.
Really nice job dude.
Thanks! Yes I do sell them, mostly to folks who ask me to make them a paddle. Occasionally I'll make one that wasn't commissioned and put it up for sale online.
Same as you, I prefer single piece paddles over laminates. I like to chop out paddles at Old Fort Niagara as a historical interpretive activity too.
I made this paddle out of cherry this spring.
cherry paddle 2020.jpg

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I made one once a gazillion years ago. I was in about 9th or 10th grade, summer time. Only mine came to a sort of blunt point at the bottom because that is what the instructor said the "Indian" canoe paddles looked like. Used it all summer and then gave it away because I had no canoe at home. Never painted mine. As I recall it was made from a red maple log about 5 ft long and 12 inches wide. We planned out and then started hacking chips away.

Rawhide67

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I made one out of cherry at a class at the Blue Mountain Lake Museum a couple years ago. the class was a Xmas gift from my girlfriend, and one of the best gifts I’ve ever received. Can’t bring myself to use it.