• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any bead collectors here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired another addiction hobby that stemmed from muzzleloading. Trade beads lol. Thats all I needed was another hobby… Recently bought a bunch of French crow beads, bumblebee trade beads…Been looking at some venitian and Lewis and Clark trade beads. There are so many… Any bead collectors here? The following pictures aren’t the ones I currently ordered but will be ordering in the future…reproductions of course…
852C8559-65B4-4573-AF99-BBACB1D4BA71.jpeg
2963C736-6394-4109-841C-0C2DF9B351FE.jpeg
3DDE5CBC-ED61-42F6-92D9-D0752EF820DE.jpeg

Yes, I collect beads and use them for projects.
Here are some lewis and clark beads. If you're interested in some PM me.View attachment 326666
Those are some nice ones! Thanks for your kind offer but after I made this post I got a low ball offer on eBay from the guy selling the Lewis and Clark beads and snatched them up.

I needed just a few once for a small project and didn’t want to wait so I made some wooden beads. Ever since, I’ve been a little more interested in beads. How common were wooden beads in the 19th century and before?

I needed just a few once for a small project and didn’t want to wait so I made some wooden beads. Ever since, I’ve been a little more interested in beads. How common were wooden beads in the 19th century and before?
That I don’t know, one would suppose they would be? Hopefully someone will chime in…

Turns out instead of buying a string of Lewis and Clark trade beads, the price was only for one 😳. Was like $14. Turned out it is from 1897. At first I was frustrated, In a way now I’m kind of excited, will make an interesting piece for a pc necklace… Edit: Turns out it is not from 1897 but a reproduction from that year….expensive

Last edited:
Be careful and do your research: some advertised as trade beads are African trade beads, not North American trade beads.

Be careful and do your research: some advertised as trade beads are African trade beads, not North American trade beads.
Yeah seen that, I noticed some of the African beads are similar but not quite the same, thanks for the heads up tho, I really need to find a book of sorts on the subject.

Last edited:
Turns out @Scott_C is right. The bead I ordered says unusual “Lewis and Clark style” African trade bead circa 1897 but aren’t originals as I thought but expensive reproductions… I’ve been doing some research on the subject, it seems a lot of these beads were made from the same European countries and sent to Africa and North America. Different beads, similar style. Some being the same? Some time around 1880 some beads sent to Africa and America were the same according to this article https://www.metmuseum.org/articles/beadwork-in-arts-of-africa-and-beyond I dunno, it gets confusing. I found this great museum page which details alot of North American beads and their history for any one interested https://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/beads/beadgallery.html?TopicID=large

Last edited:
I have collected and studied beads for many years. It's a fascinating field of interest.

Much of what was known about beads and those who used them has changed over the past 25 years.

FWIW Lewis and Clark beads were from Venice and made about 50 years later than the famous expedition. Still, they are cool beads.

Lewis and Clark took red glass beads on their expedition west to trade with natives and were upset because folks out there did not want them: they preferred blue beads instead, the type they got from Russian traders.
Cool history.

I've never done bead work myself. Would be interesting but just too many other irons in the fire. Literally. I have seen some beautiful examples of beadwork from modern craftsman. It is a fine art and I hope you do well with it.

I recently acquired another addiction hobby that stemmed from muzzleloading. Trade beads lol. Thats all I needed was another hobby… Recently bought a bunch of French crow beads, bumblebee trade beads…Been looking at some venitian and Lewis and Clark trade beads. There are so many… Any bead collectors here? The following pictures aren’t the ones I currently ordered but will be ordering in the future…reproductions of course…View attachment 326496View attachment 326497View attachment 326498
Interesting topic. Honestly have not heard much on it over the years, and never gave trade beads much thought. Guessing there is a lot to learn. Looking forward to the education.

I have collected and studied beads for many years. It's a fascinating field of interest.

Much of what was known about beads and those who used them has changed over the past 25 years.

FWIW Lewis and Clark beads were from Venice and made about 50 years later than the famous expedition. Still, they are cool beads.

Lewis and Clark took red glass beads on their expedition west to trade with natives and were upset because folks out there did not want them: they preferred blue beads instead, the type they got from Russian traders.
Cool history.
That’s a pretty cool bit of info! Makes me wonder how that bead got associated with Lewis and Clark’s name?

Don’t know how HC they are, but I ordered a variety of Trade Beads from Crazy Crow. I plan to use them on an Elk hide shooting bag and some knife sheaths.
I ordered some from Crazy Crow also, I’ll probably just stick to them as my go to in the future, so far every experience I’ve had ordering from them has been flawless.

Those are some nice ones! Thanks for your kind offer but after I made this post I got a low ball offer on eBay from the guy selling the Lewis and Clark beads and snatched them up.
That Illinois trade bead page is super interesting reference, especially once I realized that clicking on a thumbnail opened up a greatly detailed image and explanations. We'll worth bookmarking!
Here is an excellent reference book (2 images, cover and ISBN info so you can search interlinear loan & book sellers).

Attachments

• 17182014186427665091694160751542.jpg
    17182014186427665091694160751542.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 0
  • 17182015362213899432509928177716.jpg
    17182015362213899432509928177716.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1718201623820136005612958223084.jpg
    1718201623820136005612958223084.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back