• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Antler tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea, looks like you found just the right piece to do it with too,
If anything, I'd take down a bit more of the button for the "short start" usage.
Keeping the button on is appealing to the eye for beholders in some applications, but sometimes not so much useful for the user.
Most of them olde hand tools are "smooth" so they don't hurt the hand,,
;)
I hear you, and I appreciate your compliment. Tonight I was gently filing down some of the rough spots thinking just that about how much better smooth would feel. The length on the short start nubbin is longer than the short stub on my "regular" short starter, and it is shorter than the long rod on it. It will take some use to see just how it works and doesn't. I will report back, I promise

Banjo, as I am one of the least talented men on this forum, I take great pride in being able to do anything creative with my hands, like making this basic antler tool. For me, making this is like discovering fire. Yeah, there are a lot of guys who see every tool and implement and car engine in 3-D and they can fix anything with a bobby pin. Those guys have my admiration and severe envy, and they are in no danger of being one-upped by me. So what are we making next? I like the ramrod palm saver. I might give that a try. Instead of doing my work or playing with antler today, I helped a friend figure out what happened to a buck he arrowed but that got away. He did go home with a big fat trophy doe, so it was not all a bust for him. But I did nothing of any real consequence. Certainly nothing to impress Banjo or anyone else on the forum here. Thanks for your encouragement

Hey, I am just an amateur accoutrement maker. It’s fun and relaxing to make something that I can actually use. Although I would never try to sell anything I make, I do use a lot of what I make. Some things I make work, some don’t.

It’s great when someone like you posts something different that gives me inspiration to try another project. My hat’s off to you. Making our own accoutrements and tools just like folks did back in the day is one of neat aspects of this hobby.

These are great rainy day projects for those times when I can’t get out and shoot my muzzleloader! Keep up the good work my friend!

Last edited:
does the short starter actually go into the barrel any distance or does it just push it in flush? I rely like it, one stop shopping!
The flat end of this tool is for pushing the PRB into the muzzle. That little antler nub is about 1.5” and is rounded off to push the PRB down into the bore. Not very far, but it’s a start. It might not be far enough to then ram home with the ramrod. I’ll try it today or tomorrow. Thank you for the nice compliment

I learned early on, heck, even before I fired my first BP rifle that i needed stuff that I was either too cheep to buy or that I didn’t want the plastic manure they sell.
Enter “‘cootermints” construction.
Brass, leather, wood are all fun to work with.
I’ll make something then give it to a club member and make a better one. Give that one away for a prize at the annual shoot I sponsor then make myself a really nice one with what I learned along the way.
Makin’ ‘cootermints is almost as much fun as shooting’ !
Rolling around in my noggin’ now is an antler and hardwood pan charger.
4f is pretty fine, might need to cheat with neoprene O rings hidden inside….

Here’s some pics of the few antler tools I’ve made. Plus my crude attempt at decorating them freehand with a dremel.
A pic of an elk antler powder measure that holds 100 grains of 2f for my conical load, and a pic of the short starter I talked about above plus an elk antler field flask I made for hunting that holds enough for 5 reloads.
D8AA2135-3FB2-4A11-B7F1-B2F371C5E97C.jpeg

8972101D-A30C-47DB-AFB0-9F0E05BBC7DA.jpeg

Looks effective! Reminds me of my grandfather's meerschaum (sp?) pipes. Does the NMLRA allow those brass casings on black powder items? Will that be DQ'd? ;-)
The NMLRA would only have jurisdiction over stuff used at one of their competitions. Don't know if they would think brass would strike a spark or not. Otherwise, you're on your own.

Nice looking work there, Renegade!
My report about this multitool from the range today:
1) it needs to be filed down flat under the spout where it meets the bore and dumps the powder.
2) the lanyard needs to be about 2.5 to three feet long.
3) it needs a ramrod hole, as Grim said it would. Even a shallow one will make all the difference
4) luckily it holds the 115 grains FFG Swiss the rifle actually needs at 100 yards. The powder levels just under the top.

Thanks to you guys for your advice, I made some changes to the tool:
1) filed down the edge that leans against the bore while pouring powder into the barrel
2) re-contoured the other end and drilled a 3/8” depression in it, with slightly beveled edges, both to help set the ball in the muzzle and hold the ramrod. The flat surface alone was not correct for initially setting the ball.
3) filed down all of the sharp bumps. Smoother is better! And there is enough of the bumps left to enjoy how they look
1997DDFD-CAA4-41F0-A15C-18D116A03D2A.jpeg

These images are from Brant Selb's website: Brant Selb Gallery

He had a similar idea for the multi-purpose tool made of antler. I have admired it, and would like to make a similar one, although I doubt I could do as neat a job. This is the straight-starter/powder measure that he made:

Selb Charger-Starter 1.jpg

It looks like the powder charger is double-ended... Maybe a short range charge and a long-range charge?

Selb Charger-Starter 2.jpg

I like that poured metal inlay. It enables a thin lip on the powder charger, which probably makes it easier to pour the powder, and it looks really good.

He made a sleeve for it on the front strap of his shot pouch:

Selb Pouch.jpg

Genius!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back