• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antler powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve made any powder measures from antler. I have two to make for my hunting buddies. Both for 70 gr of 3f.
I was wondering if if you had a recommendation for drill bit sizes? Last time I started with drill bits then scrapers.
I would like to speed the process up a little.
Thanks for your help, Kevin

I thought I had some photos of some antler measures I've made, but only found one. I generally make them for my Sons.
I have a scrap piece of 2x4 that I use as a reference for different grain volumes. I mostly use a 3/8" bit depending on antler size. I'll start drilling into the 2x4 until the hole accepts the correct volume and write the amount by the hole. Place the drill bit in the hole and wrap tape to mark the bit. As @tenngun said the straighter the antler the better. It's very easy to drill through the side of a curved one. Or if you have a larger, stubby piece just use a larger bit. My piece of 2x4 probably has 6 or 7 different grain/diameter sizes in it now so I can make a measure fairly quickly. Make a few from wood too.

Attachments

• IMG_3894.JPG
    IMG_3894.JPG
    691.7 KB · Views: 0
I was wondering if if you had a recommendation for drill bit sizes?
We can't, we don't know what you have to work with.
Your dealing with a volume measure, aka; the volume of a cylinder (the hole ya drill)
How big a hole you can make? Then how deep is it?.
Here's a tip; make the hole as big as you can but run it shallow for the charge,,
I form the best position of the pour with a file and sandpaper, that leads to an odd shape with each individual piece.
Once the end of the measure is formed, I can go back and adjust the depth to accept the charge I want.
It's OK to change drill size as the antler size decreases
All ya have to do is drill more out to add more volume, if ya mess up an go too deep, then drip some candle wax to the base or add epoxy.

Pie, times radius squared, times height. The simple 5th grade math is easily available with a smart phone or hand held calculator,, viewing of the math process with explanation can be found on the WWW.

first pic is side view, you can see the barrel pin I used to show where the 54gr mark is.
The second pic is where I fill it to. For 54gr I use the bottom of the pin. for 75gr I use the bottom edge of the mouth.
Paranoia was not drilling the lanyard hole into the hollow part of the antler.
20221211_101020[1].jpg

20221211_100949[1].jpg

My short starter is what the horn tip is sitting a top. Where 3 horns met was great to hold in your hand without slipping.

I tend to use drill bits then a tapered half round file. Well, two files,,, one is a very fine cut when getting close to finished and shaping the spout. Then fine sandpaper.
I like a 3/8" drill because it is the diameter of the hole in my adjustable measure. I stick the drill bit in the adjustable measure that is set for the load I want and drill to that depth. I do usually start small and work up.
If the antler is so big that a 3/8" hole will leave a really thick wall I will drill shallow and work up to a hope that gives me the volume I want and the wall thickness (or thinness) I want.

20210103_122306.jpg
20210103_122213.jpg

20210103_122252.jpg

20210102_093518.jpg

20210102_093442.jpg

20210102_093206.jpg

Sometimes one can go a little too thin... might try to make a nightlight someday 😆

Attachments

• 20210102_093442.jpg
    20210102_093442.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210103_122213.jpg
    20210103_122213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210103_122306.jpg
    20210103_122306.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I tend to use drill bits then a tapered half round file. Well, two files,,, one is a very fine cut when getting close to finished and shaping the spout. Then fine sandpaper.
I like a 3/8" drill because it is the diameter of the hole in my adjustable measure. I stick the drill bit in the adjustable measure that is set for the load I want and drill to that depth. I do usually start small and work up.
If the antler is so big that a 3/8" hole will leave a really thick wall I will drill shallow and work up to a hope that gives me the volume I want and the wall thickness (or thinness) I want.

View attachment 185383View attachment 185384
View attachment 185387
View attachment 185389
View attachment 185391
View attachment 185386
Sometimes one can go a little too thin... might try to make a nightlight some

Show off 🙄

😆😆😆

That is really sweet, I'd be too scared of loosing it in the woods to use it.

I'm sure you made it but in case not I have to ask, where did you get the little attachment piece of hardware?
Show off 🙄

😆😆😆

I'm sure you made it but in case not I have to ask, where did you get the little attachment piece of hardware?
I do not remember for sure what the attachment was made from. I am thinking probably I modified a brass lamp finial. It was not in the plan originally. I had filed and formed an integral ball on the antler but somehow broke it off, so needed something to replace it with. One of those things you may perceive to be a disaster that turns out for the best.

😆😆😆

Show off 🙄

😆😆😆

Not sure but I think the attachment was a brass lamp finial I modified. It was not the original plan. I had filed and shaped a ball tip on the antler but broke it off doing other work on it. A perceived disaster that turned out for the best.

Not sure but I think the attachment was a brass lamp finial I modified. It was not the original plan. I had filed and shaped a ball tip on the antler but broke it off doing other work on it. A perceived disaster that turned out for the best.
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it on the end of your measure. Great Idea.

I have long ago lost track of the hours I've spent wandering in thought in the "Nuts/Bolts/Fittings/Lamp Parts/etc." isle of large and small hardware stores. I've had many folks ask me why I bought something or was I sure something would fit and were floored when I said it didn't matter as I wasn't going to use it for the intended purpose anyway. Sometimes I find something, think it is neat and buy it even though I don't have something planned right away for it.

At one store I haunt rather frequently, it has become almost a game with them to ask why I was going to buy something, just to find out an unusual purpose I have in mind for it.

LOVE that powder measure.

Gus

I start with as large of a drill bit as will "fit " the antler piece and go in a little at a time until feel the wall is getting thin, then I go to a smaller drill and repeat the process. Checking the volume as I go until I get the desired amount.Some times I use a dremel with a rotary file if the antler has a shape curve to enlarge the hole.

Back