• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Antiquing percussion revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got this Walker it has fallen into some very acidic mud which had damaged the bluing so I went ahead and tried the antique look, I used navel jelly to strip and slightly etch the surface , then some cold blue rubbed back with some very fine steel wool, I also played with a homemade dye for the grips using a rit dye and alcohol mixture, I think it looks better than the splotchy damaged finish it had.

View attachment 195223
You did a fine job on your Walker 👏

And thanks for contributing to the original topic...This thread got hijacked off course a couple pages back, as tends to happen here. 🙄

You did a fine job on your Walker 👏

And thanks for contributing to the original topic...This thread got hijacked off course a couple pages back, as tends to happen here. 🙄
This Paterson was was purchased new along with the Walker by a Texas Ranger and used several years before being thrown from his horse, he ended up with a broken hip and both guns in the mud, but I guess you could say the Paterson has honest wear, it was carried a lot and had a few mishaps on the trail, I’ve left it alone for now, I carry and shoot it fairly often.

5C9B73E9-49B7-4641-B724-0E0BB2531174.jpeg

trying to make a gun look used when it ain't is fake.
I agree with that statement, however “to each his own.”

I’ve seen many “customized“ motorcycles and cars that were an assault to MY eyes but to the owner/customizer they are beautiful. And it surely is “in the eye of the beholder“. I’m thankful that everything isn’t the same…How boring!

I think the walker is really cool and totally legit. I just don't like the idea of purposely distressing a brand new gun to make it look like it has a real story. It should earn that story. My 1942 lee enfield #4 Mk1 has some serious gouges out of the stock. You just know they have a real story behind them. In the martial arts world how faded and frayed your black belt is supposedly shows your experience level. A grey belt with lots of threads showing is the ultimate cool. every now and then you see some kid who just tested for his belt a year ago sporting a frayed grey belt. you know that kid was playing with bleach and a wire brush...

They're Italian repro Spaghetti Western fun blasters 😃😃😃

Acting like I'm committing Stolen Valor by antiquing my $200 brassers 🤠🤠🤠 ok you got me, me and my guns didn't see action at Gettysburg, I'm a fake, a phony , a fraud 😃

Some People get awfully serious about what people do with their guns. I can't take my 2021 produced Dance & Brother into the time machine and carry it on the campaign in the summer of '64, I'm sorry.

I'm just trying to enjoy a hobby without the Serious Sams coming out😆

Last edited:
I'm about to order a Hell on Wheels leather rig that's a copy of the one in the show , and get a Brasser 1860 Army. So I can have fun at the range and enjoy myself, despite not being an ex-Confederate gunslinger

This is supposed to be fun , I'm having fun, people can enjoy their guns any way they want. It's perfectly fine. Pietta makes more every day.

I got to say that you guys sound like a bunch of teenage gurls buying pants that are already worn out.. just use the darn things heck the 58 Remington in this photo is less than two years old in this photo. look at the wear on the backstrap. heck that brasser is probobly about a month old and its starting to show some use. View attachment 195221
Like the holster. Need to get some utility pouches to be complete. I'm no one to talk I use a hypertough hammer pouch as a holster for 1860 colt. The hypertough has pouches built in for nails. I use for bullets and such. Lol. To top it off I use an old army belt and run it through the pouch and sling across my chest. Now I have a dirt leg shoulder holster. It works.

BTW when I looked at picture I saw a nice holster a belt knife and a gun. Must be the viewer looking for the "junk" in the jeans. Just saying...
Ps. Don't get feathers all ruffled, you said you wanted to have fun and not get serious. So there. Lol!

Boomtown, can we see the holster? Sounds like a good use of available materials. I use a leather tool belt for my holster belt. They're tough, they do their job really well

It's embarrassing but works its a hypertouch work pouch. And yes and you'll laugh at me but hey, it was just hanging around and I got to thinking.
I'm sure I'll get flamed on this one...
Material is cloth with a spandex type holder for revolver (originally a hammer).
Much fits in the 2 main pouches. Cleaning kit, 100 bullets, primers. Flask/20grain measure all-in-one goes in side cargo pants.
Can bend over and pickup and all good. A lil heavy at about 4 lbs with every thing. Obviously can go on waist too.

Attachments

• 20230203_162250.jpg
    20230203_162250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230203_162109.jpg
    20230203_162109.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It's embarrassing but works its a hypertouch work pouch. And yes and you'll laugh at me but hey, it was just hanging around and I got to thinking.
I'm sure I'll get flamed on this one...
Material is cloth with a spandex type holder for revolver (originally a hammer).
Much fits in the 2 main pouches. Cleaning kit, 100 bullets, primers. Flask/20grain measure all-in-one goes in side cargo pants.
Can bend over and pickup and all good. A lil heavy at about 4 lbs with every thing. Obviously can go on waist too.
This honestly has me looking for a leather version of this to use for the range

I was about 15 years old in this photo. And possessed all the stupidity that goes with that age but at least I had honest wear on the damn pistol. I made the holster myself and my uncle made the knife while in the Korean war. buying jeans with holes in them is silly and trying to make a gun look used when it ain't is fake.
I don't knock a guy for liking the type of gun he liked we are supposed to enjoy the black powder sport and get along without making a coment putting down what they think is a good idea doing what they like to do with there BP weapon. But if some one chimes in and wants to be a wise guy I'll dish it wright back.

As long as people aren't messing up historical originals, that are a part of firearms history, it's all good . If people want to take reproductions and put them in the safe unfired, use them normally, age them, wear them, or throw em down a rocky hill, or paint them bright Red, who cares

"Distressing" furniture is popular too. It's new made stuff that the furniture maker marks up and adds character to, who cares. If you want new looking furniture that's available too.

My coworker recently told me him and his friends used to buy used brass frame cap and ballers at gun shows for 20 bucks , years ago, and take em out in the woods and shoot them "until they stopped working" and they'd just leave them on the ground or toss them into the woods. I hope someone discovers their shooting spot 100 years from now and find 10 brass frame .44's in the ground and thinks some weird battle happened there. I cringe hearing these stories but they're repros, it's not a big deal. It was cheaper than a day at the arcade and the mall probably, to shoot a beat up brasser for a few hours and wing it into a gravel pit.

As long as people aren't messing up historical originals, that are a part of firearms history, it's all good . If people want to take reproductions and put them in the safe unfired, use them normally, age them, wear them, or throw em down a rocky hill, or paint them bright Red, who cares

"Distressing" furniture is popular too. It's new made stuff that the furniture maker marks up and adds character to, who cares. If you want new looking furniture that's available too.

My coworker recently told me him and his friends used to buy used brass frame cap and ballers at gun shows for 20 bucks , years ago, and take em out in the woods and shoot them "until they stopped working" and they'd just leave them on the ground or toss them into the woods. I hope someone discovers their shooting spot 100 years from now and find 10 brass frame .44's in the ground and thinks some weird battle happened there. I cringe hearing these stories but they're repros, it's not a big deal. It was cheaper than a day at the arcade and the mall probably, to shoot a beat up brasser for a few hours and wing it into a gravel pit.
It was cheap to shoot back then a pound of powder was 6 or 7 dollars and a box of Hornady balls was cheap. It's still cheaper then cartridge guns.

It was cheap to shoot back then a pound of powder was 6 or 7 dollars and a box of Hornady balls was cheap. It's still cheaper then cartridge guns.
Midway has a clearance on Hornady .375 balls right now, $6 a box......I stocked up on 20 boxes.....

120 bucks for 2,000 balls, I already have powder and caps.......that's the cheapest shooting I'll be able to do short of shooting .22, maybe not even

6 bucks for 100 balls, $12 for 100 caps, and $40 for a pound of powder or even less for Pyrodex P at about $25......

Where else can you pop off for a few hours for less than a family dinner at McD's?

I think the walker is really cool and totally legit. I just don't like the idea of purposely distressing a brand new gun to make it look like it has a real story. It should earn that story. My 1942 lee enfield #4 Mk1 has some serious gouges out of the stock. You just know they have a real story behind them. In the martial arts world how faded and frayed your black belt is supposedly shows your experience level. A grey belt with lots of threads showing is the ultimate cool. every now and then you see some kid who just tested for his belt a year ago sporting a frayed grey belt. you know that kid was playing with bleach and a wire brush...
Lighten up, Francis.

Midway has a clearance on Hornady .375 balls right now, $6 a box......I stocked up on 20 boxes.....

120 bucks for 2,000 balls, I already have powder and caps.......that's the cheapest shooting I'll be able to do short of shooting .22, maybe not even

6 bucks for 100 balls, $12 for 100 caps, and $40 for a pound of powder or even less for Pyrodex P at about $25......

Where else can you pop off for a few hours for less than a family dinner at McD's?
380s work best in my uberti 36cal navy. They said use 375 but I don't get a ring and the the balls sometimes sticks to the loading leaver. That is a good deal though

This honestly has me looking for a leather version of this to use for the range
Yeah. It is tough cloth and some stretchy tough holder made for a hammer that works for me. I carry everything in it except the all-in-one powder/measure flask. Even the cleaning kit and needle nose fit in it. Worn at waist works even better. Might wanna look in hardware dept at Lowes. Good hunting.

Latest posts

Back