• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique store Powder flasks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found these two at an antique store 200 yds from my house. the plum coloured one is brass spout and copper bodied, no markings. lever to operate is broken but there is enough to operate it. It is cracked at the seam along the bottom of the flask.
the other seems to be brass plated steel or tin, showing some oxidation. Some of you will recognize the embossing. it opens and closes with an exposed leaf spring coil, seems to be operable.
any idea what these are worth? Didn`t get all that great of pictures, they are closed til Friday....
the asking prices show in the last pic in CDN $$
XUoFlmn.jpg

ledqSDo.jpg

WAVDL6R.jpg

Found these two at an antique store 200 yds from my house. the plum coloured one is brass spout and copper bodied, no markings. lever to operate is broken but there is enough to operate it. It is cracked at the seam along the bottom of the flask.
the other seems to be brass plated steel or tin, showing some oxidation. Some of you will recognize the embossing. it opens and closes with an exposed leaf spring coil, seems to be operable.
any idea what these are worth? Didn`t get all that great of pictures, they are closed til Friday....
XUoFlmn.jpg

ledqSDo.jpg

WAVDL6R.jpg
The one on the right is a Remington 'Friendship' flask. My brother used to have one (repro) that he used with a Zouave. Can't tell you much more than that. The other is a classic design with a spout like Hawksley? Don't know much, they're beautiful, good luck in your search.

XUoFlmn.jpg

ledqSDo.jpg

WAVDL6R.jpg
The one on the right is a Italian repro the one on the left is a Dixon flask of the 18 40 -50 period, in good condition a flask like this would in the UK bring around £30 sterling
Feltwad
100_1096.JPG

Good selection Leather covered lanthorn with view panel is very like Percy Tennantry , I bought one in New Jersey, Cresent moon on the charger . Made for Prussian rifles they had & nothing to do with Nelsons Navy as Bannerman called them . But you will know that .Nice snake I went to a Y shape snake less likely to ding the gun just an Italian charger only bit any use as sold they flop about like er some thing African !.
Cheers Rudyard .

so what’s a reproduction worth?
it’s all there, no dents, Just the patina you see.
not really concerned about the copper plumb coloured one, it`s split and i have no idea how to repair it and the repair not be visible or remove the color. I don`t think that one is reproduction

black powder shooting is not a big thing here, i know very few Newfoundlanders that even think about it. It was Great Pop`s thing. Reproduction anything is not seen that much here, lots of original BP firearms in expected antique condition- mostly military sportered arms, muskets etc- usually in rough shape But tend to carry a lot of sentimental value until the millennials inherit them and sell cheap. Many not worth the price though

Agree with Eterry above.

Track of the Wolf sells a new identical flask for $46.99 (U.S.). Don't know about shipping cost, possible tax and U.S. dollar vs CDN dollar.

You may be able to get a new flask and antique it for less than the used flask you posted.

Last edited:
That’s what i`m thinking. $47 USD is about $65 CDN ish. That’s why i posted here;)

Asking prices are nuts on repop and high on orig if orig. Might be worth it if a real dixon marked flask. FWIW i bought a dozen or so of "Zouave Peace Flasks" back in 2006.
They were closeouts at less than $10 each.

Good selection Leather covered lanthorn with view panel is very like Percy Tennantry , I bought one in New Jersey, Cresent moon on the charger . Made for Prussian rifles they had & nothing to do with Nelsons Navy as Bannerman called them . But you will know that .Nice snake I went to a Y shape snake less likely to ding the gun just an Italian charger only bit any use as sold they flop about like er some thing African !.
Cheers Rudyard .
Yes you are correct the leather flask is from the Percy Tenancy with the crescent moon on the spout plus the number for the gun ,this one is numbered 25 gun some also were of horn.. These were Birmingham made Purdy's which were supposed to replace the Fergusons rifles which the estate militia could not adapted too in case of a invasion from Napoleon ,
Feltwad
100_1093.JPG

The one on the right is a Italian repro the one on the left is a Dixon flask of the 18 40 -50 period, in good condition a flask like this would in the UK bring around £30 sterling
FeltwadView attachment 36819

Dixon was still making flasks until fairly recently. Track had some on closeout back just a few years. Hawksley, too, as I remember (for whatever my memory is worth these days!)

Dixon was still making flasks until fairly recently. Track had some on closeout back just a few years. Hawksley, too, as I remember (for whatever my memory is worth these days!)
I cannot say they were made until recent by Dixon but the enclosed advert of 1965 shows Dixon made Flasks retailed by Normans Of Framlington which was run by Kit Ravenshaw .I understand that the moulds were later sold to a company in India who made them to the exact copies of the originals
Feltwad
100_1037.JPG
100_1042.JPG

Back