• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Antique store find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's come back to the original thread :

When You compare the workmanship of the pistol , You will clearly see , that it has been made in a much superior quality as the ( probably new made( indish ) ) pistol shown in the note of rickystl with its crudely stamped but not engraved " George Rex " stamp , even if it's not in prestine shape .
This Bavarian Pistol M 1843 has probably been made in the Amberg arsenal/factory , therefore no proof marks , ( came much later in Germany or German States ) and is as I'm convinced , a rather collectible and very rare piece of history .

The Roman numbers were very common in Germany/Europe for helping assembly , when They had several little pieces on Their workbenches for finding out , which part belongs to the other . Lots of parts haven't been interchangeable back then !

Dear Rick I think you have that one pinned precisley barrel & lock related rest' got up 'of oddments result servicable pistol fit for ship or any other usage even in some cases peddled of to the US for the Biceneinial cant see Belgium proofs can see what appear to be London ones or not Belgium ones Its not 'wrong' its what it is , kept very well that's in its favour. There was a huge am
mount of making up and altering guns deemed obsolete surplus for the Africa /South America & any other market that wanted them . Mint Whitworth's & Remington Zuoaves being examples well worthy of our study .Is that a stamped name in the lock mortis ? .
Regards Rudyard

PS Dear T Foley My parade is dry yes the lock engraveing is crude but Dublin Castle was notabley not coining quality and why bother for such a got up piece ?.
Regards Rudyard

All true. I'll leave it alone now.

Back