• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Antique Signal Cannon Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trechic

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello All.

First time poster, long time lurker of the board.

I recently found what I consider to be a vintage / antique brass signal cannon. Knowledgable people here may confirm this or provide me with a different thought.

The cannon is brass with a coat of arms and figural dolphins on the top. The length of the cannon measures 8" in length. The bore measures 5/8" across the opening. The tube is open all the way down to the firing opening.

The cannon sits on a very dark, almost black wooden trolly.

I would be curious to know what the coat of arms represents? Is it English, Spanish? Also, would there be an estimated date that one could put on the cannon?

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and input on the cannon. Thank you in advance for your replys.

Kindest regards,

Greg
signalcannon1.jpg

signalcannon2.jpg

signalcannon3.jpg

signalcannon4.jpg

signalcannon5.jpg

signalcannon6.jpg

signalcannon7.jpg

signalcannon8.jpg

signalcannon9.jpg

signalcannon10.jpg

signalcannon11.jpg

What a strange cannon... it seems the builder may have been drinking when he set the dolphins on it they look more like demonic horns than dolpins, the tube looks to have been lathe turned the hatch marks on the moldings machine made... it was probably made in the 1950's or 60's the tube has very little taper from breech to muzzel not knowing if this was cast in brass as a decorator or bronze as a shooter would suggest caution on firing it....

Thank you for the feedback. When I bought it, I was told it was fired to test it...however, I will take that with a grain of salt.

The brass cannon weighs in at 2 pounds and I can certainly see and feel rifling on the inside.

Maybe it is not brass, maybe it is bronze??

Looks like a Toledo made tourist piece, circa mid 1950's to 1970's. Screwed up the dolphins.

Nit Wit said:
Claude said:
Kabar2 said:
...it seems the builder may have been drinking when he set the dolphins on it they look more like demonic horns than dolpins,...
I thought they were elephants. :confused:
I did too!
Nit Wit

Not dolphins. Not uncommon on European cannon.I believe the big cannon overlooking the English Channel at Dover has a similar rear sight. But, that was 50+ years ago I saw it, memory might be off a tad. Squire Robin, what say ye?

Dolphins were not supposed to be sights. They were for lifting the gun. Your dolphins don't look cast in to me.
Is there some weld or something holding the dolphins on ? If those are cast on somebody sure spent a lot of time and greif to do them incorectly.

May be the maker had only seen a cannon with dolphins once? A long time ago ,from a long ways off.

Dolphins look like the cannon shown in the follow up pics .

I didn't see any rifling marks in the bore.
Gary

I'm certainly no expert on cannons but in my estimation, it is an Indian made decorator piece. I don't know if it is correct, but the barrel is at least interesting. However, the carriage leaves a bit to be desired. Enjoy it as a decent decorator piece.

The coat of arms is of the Kingdom of Portugal...the crown on the cannon is of incorrect style, though.

Agreed. - My GUESS is that it was (given the "coat of arms") made in Pudacherry, India (a former Portuguese colony) as "a desk-top ornament".

yours, satx

Rifleman1776 said:
Squire Robin, what say ye?

The trunnions sit low so dolphins are good but they usually form lifting loops and are cast in.

8" long is a desk ornament or a child's toy, not that there is anything wrong with that, a signal cannon has to do lots more than a mere pistol crack.

Whenever you see a bronze cannon, look for chaplets. I always look for chaplets, it is great fun :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back