• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique flask help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked this up in a junk store in Charleston on a trip last week.

It’s an original American Cap & Flask Co flask. It’s in great shape.

The original adjustable spout is marked in drams but it is irreparably broken. The rest of the flask is in great shape and the spring loaded gate functions as good as new.

I would like to put a tube spout on it and cut to throw the charge I want...any idea where to find a threaded spout that would screw on?

2C4F1352-833B-46FE-86AA-97C81054F0AF.jpeg
8F0971C2-178D-459D-BF1A-576D8BD64D9E.jpeg
179E8A47-BF96-4DE2-A3FB-D91DC48F6E8C.jpeg
0FBD888E-4A5C-4513-B9C1-BA2BDCF1963B.jpeg

Do you know the thread diameter and pitch? Finding the tap for that simple tapping the brass or copper tube might be a bit of an adventure. But the solution must start with knowing what threads you are dealing with.

Nothing is irreparable, well maybe a glass, but with todays epoxy's even that could be made drinkable again. Where was I?, Oh yeah, its yours and do with it what you will, for me, those old flasks are worth keeping original as near as possible. There are plenty of beaters out there, your looks easily savable.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=powder+flasks&_sacat=0Robby

i guess I am missing your point...the only thing I am going to do to it is thread on a new spout and then use it.

The metered spout on it now has had the top adjustment portion jammed down over the bottom...getting two apart would likely destroy them in the process. Don’t want to do that, so I am going to find a new spout to use in its place.

It is VERY likely that you could free the 2 parts. Usually it just a bit of corrossion or the outer has been turned over the head of the screw causing a jam.
If the flask is throwing more than you want then an alternative is to make a liner to go in the old spout reducing the volume of powder thrown.
Even a series of O rings would reduce the volume thrown or tightly wrapped paper tube inserted.

Back