• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Young'n

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10thLegion

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a young (31) fella from North Central AR who is interested in traditional muzzleloading but I don't know squat about it. I grew up hunting everything I could but just within the last year I've gotten real interested in old school muzzleloader hunting. I've inline hunted a lot but I'm ready to put that gun up and get me a Hawken. I've really enjoyed reading the forum the last few weeks before joining, and now that I've joined I look forward to learning a lot.

Welcome. Lots of good info here to get you going. 👍🏻

I hope he at least knows enough about the muzzleloading community to realize the caliber of welcome he just recieved... and I'm glad to see a post from Bob Mcbride!

Welcome to the forum, Id recommend a used lyman great plains as a starter hawken that won't let you down and you'll find you keep returning to it with a particular savor as years go on and your guns and interests in this pursuit expand. Of course there are others that are equally good or better, but its a purchase you won't regret. I would suggest finding a period and location of interest and researching it and let it guide your purchases. You might even build a kit rifle some day, or even build a rifle without the kit...there arent really any limits to what our members do on here.

Howdy from north Texas and welcome to the forum.
I was a poor country boy of 14 when dad bought me the cheapest muzzleloader kit he could find. He didn't want it to drop a bundle on a toy i might get bored with a few weeks later.
Almost 42 yrs later, i'm still burning black powder.

Get a percussion rifle to start, see what happens.
🤠

A Lyman GP is exactly what I was looking at getting. There were a couple in the Classified section on here I was looking at recently.

A Lyman GP is exactly what I was looking at getting. There were a couple in the Classified section on here I was looking at recently.

Hello from a 30-something x2 from NE Oklahoma. You have a great advantage in that you are in the same part of the state as The Muzzleloader Shop in Berryville. Call first before visiting, it’s a plandemic thing. It’s a four hour drive for me to the shop, but it’s worth it.
BTW, I built my .50 cal percussion GPR around 1983 as a 20-something, still have it and I really enjoy it.

Hello from a 30-something x2 from NE Oklahoma. You have a great advantage in that you are in the same part of the state as The Muzzleloader Shop in Berryville. Call first before visiting, it’s a plandemic thing. It’s a four hour drive for me to the shop, but it’s worth it.
BTW, I built my .50 cal percussion GPR around 1983 as a 20-something, still have it and I really enjoy it.
Berryville is a 2 hr drive for me but I was just there this weekend 😄. I wish I'd have known that was there.

Welcome. Lots of good info here to get you going. 👍🏻
Thank you! I just realized you are the guy I've been binge watching on YouTube lately thanks to these guys ☝ pointing it out. Its great stuff! Its some of the best no-nonsense instruction I've found on black powder so far.

Welcome from Idaho. Remember that for every idea proposed by us members, there is another idea purposed by other members that is different. The fun part is finding out which works best for you and your rifle.

Back