• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another unknown percussion rifle from the Appalachians.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oleredbeard

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here's another old rifle I've always wondered about from here in Southwest Virginia. It looks like it's around 36 or 40 caliber but that's just a guess. I don't have a clue about the date it was made considering it was still being used up until around 1915 or so for squirrel and stuff.

Attachments

• 149495.jpeg
    149495.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 149493.jpeg
    149493.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 149491.jpeg
    149491.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 149504.jpeg
    149504.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 149501.jpeg
    149501.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 149499.jpeg
    149499.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 149497.jpeg
    149497.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 149489.jpeg
    149489.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 154
I had wondered about that but didn't know. It has been in my family for a very long time and I honestly thought it was lost up until a while back.

This rifle looks very much like a late 1850s gun, based on its late style guard, butt curvature with pointed toe, butt height, etc. I do not believe the gun was ever flint, but rather made as a late percussion rifle. The "cut" you see above the hammer is split off perfectly with the grain on the back end, and is very flat to the rear. This lost wood is simply where a piece of wood chipped out of the side facing, following the wood's grain. If it were a flint cock cut, it would be a lot more worn and not precisely running with the wood grain. A photograph from above, showing the tang and wood [or missing wood] on either side of the tang, would resolve this issue quickly. The percussion lock is not sitting properly in its old mortise for a reason. If you look closely, the mortise appears made for this lock, but unfortunately the wood just above the nose of the lock that holds the lock in place, has broken out, allowing the main spring to force the nose of the lock upward and partially out of its old mortise. Put the hammer at half-cock so its off the nipple, and I bet the lock will drop back into the old mortise nicely.
This is a good example of a lower cost "working rifle" that most average farmers would have, a good shooting rifle without the fancy details. These plainer rifles are hard to identify when not signed, since they lack so many distinctive details of the fancier rifles that more clearly show the gunmaker's work, or hand. If the rifle is to be identified, it would have to have traces of the maker's initials or name on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight. Its stocking looks correct for southwestern VA. Shelby Gallien

Back