• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another tits up heart shot and other muzzleloader season pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I haven't been on line in forever, the wife has been using my computer for school and I don't get to town in the fall very much.
As Marmot slayer will contest the weather turned a bit bad mid week muzzleloader season knocking the elk in to the dark timber which made for some great still hunting but challenging because it was needle in a haystack hunting.
I called in many,many elk for myself,wife,clients etc...
My kill went as such.
After several daze.. :shocked2: hunting in the rain my wife and I decided to hunt near our cabin so we could get dry between hunts.
I put my wife on a ridge that produces elk every fall wile I moved off to the north and set up for an evening of quiet calling.
It was very quiet in the woods so I brought my blood trailing border collie for some companionship,I figured I has a snowball chance in hell of seeing elk on my ridge because I set my wife up in the "honey hole" I started calling and got a bugle below me immediately.
The bull pushed his cows out and started coming up the ridge to where he could wind me once he got high enough.
I low crawled down the ridge to cut the elk off, my young border collie was on a stay command but every time I got out of site he snuck in behind me.
I didn't have time for a woopin lesson so I made him lay down evey time he caught up.
I crawled to the edge of the ridge where I knew the elk would arrive.
At this time the bull pushed past his cows and was screaming at me to show myself. he was twenty yrds from me and the nearest cow(I had a cow tag) was 75 yrds away.
Well I had only one choice because the bull was sure to ether wind me or bust my sneeking cow dog.
I drew bead on the nearest cow aiming for the heart and squeezed off.
I immediately started cow calling stopping the herd from busting.
The shot cow went down in less than a min but the rest of the herd just milled around wile the bull bugled at me.
I eased out of there and went back for my haversack two hundred yrds back up the ridge, once I got back the elk Had moved off and the rest is history.
I recovered my R.B. in the hide on the far side.
Check out the exit wound through the rib cage and check out the R.B.
I am hunting with a 50cal Leman flintlock by TVM. I am shooting 100 grns of Goex express at 1900 fps at 75 yrds I got almost clean pass through with very little disruption and total weight rention.
Also check out the R.B. you can clearly see lands impregnated on the R.B. to end the "lands don't leave marks" debate.
Sorry Roundball.
In the last pic see if you can pick out Coyote Joe.
Anyway it was a great year and very beautiful fall.
Nathan

DSCF6437.jpg

DSCF6565.jpg

DSCF6572.jpg

DSCF6577.jpg

DSCF6584.jpg

DSCF6447.jpg

DSCF6467.jpg

DSCF6483.jpg

DSCF6515.jpg

DSCF6487.jpg

DSCF6491.jpg

DSCF6512.jpg

DSCF6505.jpg

:thumbsup: Nice. Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing :hatsoff:

As always Nathan GREAT PICS, BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY, GREAT HUNT. Thanks for posting :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

So, in your opinion a 50 cal is an adequate elk rifle? :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

On a different note - you know a way to get the gamey taste out of venison?

Best photo I took was of your decoy! :haha:
Loki is a great dog, just give him a few more seasons. :thumbsup:

roundball said:
Beautiful scenery out there, good photos!
Hey Roundball,
This summer I did a bunch of penitration test with Patched R.B. with different powder charges out of my Rice and Greenmtnbarrels.
I noticed that with a low charge I only got patch markes on my R.B.'s but as I increased my charge to normal hunting loads 100 grns + I noticed that I also got land marks and mu accuracy increased and became more consistant.
"Muzzleloading their ain't no black and white answers"
Interesting tho.
What barrels did you end up puttting on your TVM's

CoyoteJoe said:
Best photo I took was of your decoy! :haha:
Loki is a great dog, just give him a few more seasons. :thumbsup:
Ya to ask a your young cow dog to sit still wile you low crawl in on a bugling elk is like asking a fat kid not to eat cake :haha:
The last elk I shot with my bow was with Nino and he acted like a professional cow dog staying right at my side at I stalked in and shot the elk in his bed.
Loki is damn neer there Joe.
:bow:

Greenmtnboy, thanks for the great story and pics. I can't afford to go to Co. this year on an elk hunt and this helps me with my attitude, fills in my sence of loss. The pictures are just outstanding and really bring home a true elk hunt, thanks again Lee (aka.. Lebone, my elk camp handle)

Greenmtnboy said:
roundball said:
Beautiful scenery out there, good photos!
Hey Roundball,
What barrels did you end up puttting on your TVM's

.45cal - Rice 42" B-weight swamped round bottom
.54cal - Rice 42" B-weight swamped smoothbore
.58cal - Rice 38" D-weight swamped round bottom
.62cal - Rice 38" D-weight swamped smoothbore
The .40cal I bought from a guy who made a range trip and decided he didn't like it has a 38" GM square bottom.

Greenmtnboy, you really are living the dream! What caliber pistol are you carrying? Do you normally care the blackpowder pistol as your back-up when hunting?

Back