• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another tennon pinning question, please, pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, jus read Gangreen’s thread. Some great advice on soldering.

I’m about to solder my middle tennon on this swamped barrel. I like to think 2-3 steps ahead on problems that may arise.
Question is, should I cut the “ears” off the tennon with a dremel, or will the solder joint hold if file down either side?
DD6FD846-DA03-4A2B-AC5E-8A8D37158F09.jpeg
Thanks, Mule

A good soldering job would hold fine. You wont be able to get a good job with your electric solder gun though. You need to get the barrel warmed up enough for solder to flow, and that simply wont have the heat thatd require.

Quick question….. why are you soldering the middle one? Should be plenty of meat there. The one in the waist would be of more concern.
38” swamped barrel. 40cal. Installing 3 tennons. I assumed 3 would be enough.

The middle section of the barrel, I’ve been told is a little thin. Being the novice that I am… I assumed soldering was the safe way to go…. For the middle, that is….Not sure what you mean “The one in the waist”. But I’m willing to learn all I can. If you have a different approach.

Thanks, Mule

Soldering is the safest way to go IMO too. Solder all three, don't change horses, and fasten the other two differently! Waist is the thinnest.
Make sure both barrel and tennons are clean and fluxed prior to heat. Size the tennon with the flat, as others have said. You can do it later after soldering, but you then have to be careful not to put undo scratches on the barrel where it will invariably happen.
Larry

The Mapp torch will work but be careful as they will heat things up quick. I did mine with just the blue bottle propane torch. Heat just enough until the solder flows and the Flux sizzles. If the barrel and or the tennon turns red, you're much too hot.

Back