• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Stupid Human Trick.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys, I taught myself another stupid trick over the weekend. I was loading and chatting away with the neighbor, primed, shouldered, and fired. The shot made a funny hollow pfffft sound with no little recoil and I observed no impact on the target. "huh, that was odd" i thought to myself as i reloaded for the next shot. As i prepared to start the next ball i realised what I had done, my short starter was nowhere to be found.

I have now successfully short started a ball, left the short starter inserted, and fired. A search found the short starter about 30yds down range in several pieces. Thankfully no damage was done to the barrel by my slight oversite, only damage was to my ball starter and my ego.

Just thought I would share as a reminder to all to pay attention to what your doing and not get distracted!

Chris

I've noticed talking and loading is a big issue with rifles haha. I haven't had an issue loading smooth bore with cartridge, but I almost double loaded a rifle while telling someone a story.

Wonder if anyone has launched their ram rod 🤔

I was shooting one day and yakking away to a friend. Not sure what happened but I did ram the ball down but left the ramrod in. Found the pieces of the ramrod out around the 100 yard target and no holes in the target so no idea where the ball went. It happens as they say.

While I haven't launched a ramrod, I have shot a short started ball. Didn't hurt the rifle, but it was upsetting. I have loaded two balls when I only intended to load one. Recoil goes up and accuracy goes down.

I've seen ramrods get shot, my dad did it once probably got distracted watching me run around like a idiot when I was a kid. Recoil was very heavy and was amazed the rod held together. His friend there that day told a story when he did the same thing but when hunting.

I don't want, nor like to get on a soapbox, but feel the need to do so after seeing the above shared experiences. While it was very interesting to hear what mistakes humans can make, the common denominator here is being distracted by jawing with someone while loading. The information shared here is a good reminder for ALL of us to keep our mind on loading and shooting! Be safe my fellow black powder burners :thumb:

I've noticed talking and loading is a big issue with rifles haha. I haven't had an issue loading smooth bore with cartridge, but I almost double loaded a rifle while telling someone a story.

Wonder if anyone has launched their ram rod 🤔
I confess , same story fellow came up and engaged me in conversation about muzzleloading. I shouldered my rifle and fired had quite a kick ,said to fellow, odd that was a hard recoil for what I have been shooting here , only 40 grains. I realized as I spoke what I had done. Fellow said I wondered why you left the ramrod in the barrel ?
I asked fellow why couldn` the have told a fellow muzzleloading blackpowderman what he observed? No answer. End of conversation .
Bam!! coulda had aV8
Nowadays I may at times seem unfriendly as I no longer speak to folks while loading.

The reason the false muzzles in the schuetzen rifles had a tab sticking up to block the view of the sights was so that the false muzzle stayed with the rifle.

I think I remember from the distant past a case where a couple of drunks at a rendezvous got even drunker and had some sort of duel with "empty" rifles. One of them got a ramrod through the chest.

When shooting blackpowder, I have always been by myself. So never made any errors like noted above. However, I am certain that I am exactly the kind of guy who could be distracted by talking while loading. I plan to pleasantly tell any companions talking to me that for safety reasons, I can't and won't talk and load, if the situation arises. Since it is new to me to have 2 barrels, I did provide a visual reference for myself. I load one barrel at a time and put a highlighter in the barrel I am not loading.

I typically double load when I get to gabbing. Sometimes powder, ball, powder, ball. But the ones that wake me up are, powder, powder, ball.o_O Years Back we had a new member show up with a nice original target rifle with a matched false muzzle. Never did find that false muzzle or his ramrod.

Since that time I shot my ramrod out I do not talk to anyone. If approached at the range I just give them a stop and be with you in a minute sign. Works so far as I always explain why after I shoot. Have not had any problems like dry balls or shot ramrods since. I also think that in my case it helps my shooting as I concentrate on that rather then yakking with others. Just my experience.

I typically double load when I get to gabbing. Sometimes powder, ball, powder, ball. But the ones that wake me up are, powder, powder, ball.o_O Years Back we had a new member show up with a nice original target rifle with a matched false muzzle. Never did find that false muzzle or his ramrod.

Lucky you didn't lose a hand! Woah

Amazing how when I dry ball, I reprime several times and keep going till I begin to doubt that I put powder down ... but ... ALWAYS always am so sure that I powdered it. I go to length to only discover it is LACK OF POWDER!

Back