• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Skychief load convert

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradCayton

40 Cal
Reaction score
I finally got the chance to try the Skychief load in my .62 trade gun today. I took a turkey with it a couple years ago but was never comfortable with taking a shot past 20 yards with my best load. I was able to get a good turkey killing pattern at 27 yards today using 70 grains of 3F and 1 3/8 ounces of 5s and Skychiefs wad column. I was able to duplicate it with 4 more shots. I want to see how it does at an even 30 yards at some point but ran out of time. I think it'll do well at just 3 more yards as well as the pattern was at 27. The 5s went in and out of a soup can also. I sent 3 PRBs into a 3 1/2" group at 50 yards with it too. Getting ready for our 4 day Mountain heritage season next week where only longbows, recurves or flintlocks can be used. Loving this smoothbore!

Have y’all tried any sizes of buskshot with this loading? Thinking of use on pigs.

Back