• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Sky Chief Load Convert

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the cushion wad dispenses a bunch of new oil in the bore as it accelerates forward, reducing friction and the attendant damage to the pellets that are actually in contact with the bore.
No sir. I tested that years ago.
I put it down to the increased mass of the wad clearing the shot better than something lighter.

We all know that thin cards can be found within feet of the muzzle after a shot. So they have gone from 1000fps to 0fps in no time.
To the shot pellets that is akin to striking an obstacle.
Anything that does not slow down as quickly will aid pattern.

Got a idea for an experiment. Make a patterning board , but place it 25-35 yards UP in the air, and shoot a shot load with the barrel held VERTICAL. No overshot wad at all. Just to see how it would pattern. Probably no practical use, but it would be fun to see the results, and could learn something.....

Got a idea for an experiment. Make a patterning board , but place it 25-35 yards UP in the air, and shoot a shot load with the barrel held VERTICAL. No overshot wad at all. Just to see how it would pattern. Probably no practical use, but it would be fun to see the results, and could learn something.....

Sounds interesting, let us know how it turns out. I would try it myself, but don’t have a suitable tower to post the board up on. If my bud would take me seriously about building the shot tower we talk about I would have a tower............

I wonder. Could it be that the big oil soaked fiber wad plows a hole thru the air, protecting the shot from the air blast that would cause them to disperse for 5 or so yards downrange? Then, when it gets deflected to the side by the blast of wind, the shot column starts to open up to produce those nice, tight patterns at 20 or more yards?

That's about the only thing that makes sense to me.
There's no denying that Sky Ckief's heavy fiber wad on top of the shot does improve things.

Maybe the heavy wet wad is sucking the shot behind it for long enough to form the pattern? Like a small car behind a semi?

I dunno. I loaded this way (w/o the soaking) for years cuz I had nobody to mentor me and thought the heavy wad had to be in front to hold the shot in. I gotta get out soon with my dbl 20ga and try the true skycheif load as I have a turkey tag! Hope this last brutal storm didnt affect the turkeys like years before. Killed many. I LOVE it though! reminds me of the 70's storms before this new climate manure. Was blessed to shovel about 6 times in three days as we got 30" up here!!

I haven’t had time to work on patterning my rebuilt TC New Englander. So today when my dear little wife told me I could have this afternoon off, I didn’t hesitate. I grabbed the little gun, shot components and headed to the range. I started out with the most basic square load. Using the Lee dipper chart I picked out the 60 grain dipper for both ffg Goex and #6 shot. I used a single nitro overpowder card and one over shot card. After 5 shots, I was extremely disappointed. I wouldn’t have hit a bluerock at 25 yards. I started changing up the powder charges and shot loads - No joy. Had a new pound of 3f Swiss, so switched to it and same load. Didn’t even need to put up a new pattern sheet. Could’ve counted all the hits from an ounce of 6’s on one hand. Tried dropping the powder load to 50 grains and increased the shot to 1 1/4 oz of shot. The pattern evened out but was close to 30” across and thin. Loaded up the same load but added the sopping wet fiber wad. Touched her off and I could see the pattern from the firing line. Beautiful, round, nicely filled out 18” pattern. Shot same/same next three shots. Except for point of impact shifting some, my fault I’m sure, all were great patterns. Very happy. Tried the 50 yard targets and well, that load is still in progress.
I wonder if the oil the wet wad coats the barrel with is what improves the patterns?
When the weather cools off this fall I want to do an experiment where I seat a dry overshot card over the shot, then put an oil-soaked patch on a cleaning jag and run it up and down the bore a couple of times before shooting. If the patterns are better, that will tell me it’s the oil and not the wads that do the trick.

Back