• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Shelter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the sheet in a natural cotton color, now that it's proofed it darkened up nicely and is very visually appealing. It took more of a tea/ light walnut stained color.

I'm going to be making another in a king size. Nothing wrong with the queen as it's certainly spacious enough, just a little more space never hurt.

Also, while I love the tie downs I sewed, I'm a big fan of roundball tiedowns. Actually I'm going to use oak balls I found at hobby lobby to reduce the weight of the lead.

I used a king on mine as well. Figured I might need the extra 16 inches or whatever it was some day. I used a tan/linen type color also and I really like the look of it.

Part of it got wet before completely drying, so I did a second coat, and it gave it a weathered and used look with some character.

What about doubling up material by sewing patches in some areas to use as tie off?

I'm assuming your talking about possibly folding the sheet? If so I like that idea... This is were a king size would be very beneficial.

Unfortunately the only place that I've found that sells these good sheets is target... Even then, the nearest targeee is about an hour and change.

I've been playing with this shelter and absolutely love it. Wanted to just share a few photos of how it's now all carried. Everything fits nicely in a sm/md snapsack I made. These packs in general are just so versatile!

What I have essentially is everything needed to pitch this shelter in any configuration my mind can create.

Main oilcloth itself, a multitude of rope, rope blocks, stakes and lastly a hardwood mallet I made a few years ago. All together I've got a dedicated shelter pack that weighs a whole 5lbs + a little change. I could honestly do without the mallet, but it's nice to have a dedicated tool for that particular task around camp, plus the minimal weight and space it takes up isn't a bother or concern. :hatsoff:

KMsGjBo.jpg

Rgmxaqi.jpg

Crewdawg

Nice shelter. I made a similar one from a queen size sheet and added iron oxide to the waterproofing mixture to get a reddish brown color. What are you using for tent stakes to keep you weight down. I am planning a squirrel hunting trek this fall with my 13 year old and am trying to keep his pack weight down as much as possible.

Thanks
Shaine

An oilcloth can be easily made using oil-based barn paint. I've used the latex-based, but it doesn't appear to fill the weave as well. That said, it still does the job, and has kept the rain off. What is nice about barn paint is that it has no messy mixing/formulating or searching for ingredients.

Yes indeed, it's cheaper as well! I've been mixing iron oxide powder for some time, just recently bought barn paint from wally world to give it a go on a loose weave canvas ground cloth, works good enough for me.

Stakes... I've been using a dozen leftover cedar arrow shafts cut at 12". They've been working great but they are an absolute pain to pull from the ground.

It'll add a little weight but I'm switching to oak stakes.

Yes easy to local man stakes while on site... however I personally will not cut live trees or saplings for an overnighter. Also having them on hand allows valuable time to engage in other camp tasks and less time making stakes.

Also saves the good downed wood for kindling.

Crewdawg445 said:
Ya I really like your pyramid, that's another option I've contemplated for awhile.

Being picky I have to analyze every aspect of a tent purchase before I make smoke on the deal... :doh:

I use one for 20 years before selling it. I hear on forums like this that the pyramid is not 'authentic'. But, at ronnys no one ever made a negative comment about it. I liked it. And, common sense tells me that somewhere along the years many people used a single pole to hold up skins or canvas to make a simple shelter. Just because some artist didn't paint picture of them doesn't mean they didn't exist. You like it? Go for it?

colorado clyde said:
What is the rope/cordage in the first picture???

Almost looks like nylon.. :hmm:

NO!!! You said a bad word!

Cotton rope, I'd like hemp but I'm not paying the price for hemp rope. I could manufacturer my own, however I think corporal tunnel as my grandmother says would set in...

Cheapest I've found is about one Jackson for 25ft.

Hemp twine and a power drill will yield 2-ply reverse twist rope in minimal time.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

What is this method you speak of....? I've never heard of using a drill. In theory... Makes sense.

Clyde, you won't believe it... Walmart. In the hardware/rope section. It's 100% cotton diamond braid. I use it as wick in my betty lamp.

Oh, TSC has that cotton rope, just haven't bought any. I've also got some typical sisal/jute or whatever blend rope that I've recently added for the ridge line when setting up a wedge. As of now, the wedge is an absolute perfect setup for this cloth. I'll end up doing another specifically for that option.

Crewdawg445 said:
What is this method you speak of....? I've never heard of using a drill. In theory... Makes sense.

Cut the number of strands you want, keeping in mind the final thickness will be close to double that of the strands. Clamp one end in a vise and the other end in a power drill (I tie knots in both ends so the vice & drill chuck have something to grip). Run the drill in forward until the cord is tightly twisted and kinks, fold it back on itself (it helps if you have a second person if the cord is long), clamp the knots in a vice and the other end (essentially the center of the folded strands) in the drill chuck. Run the drill in reverse to twist the strands back on each other. Tie a knot in the vice end and the cord is complete. This makes a 2-ply cord.

Hemp craft twine makes a very nice cord though linen (or any other twine) could be used.

Hand-twisting can be used to make cordage from natural materials in the field using this method. See https://theparacordproject.blogspot.com/2012/07/diy-how-to-make-natural-cordage.html for an illustration of the method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT I would have liked to have seen. - I once (OCONUS) saw a man, a woman, 3 kids, a mutt, a good-sized pig & a young calf get out of a Renault 4CV.
(That was a "sight to see".= I just HAD to LOL.)

The sight of FOUR, LARGE & "quite well-upholstered" German policemen getting out of a VW Bug at a minor traffic accident scene in "K-Town" was pretty funny to see, too.
(The police LOOKED like that they had had more than their fair share of Pork Schnitzel,kraut & potatoes, too.)

yours, satx

Clyde, you won't believe it... Walmart. In the hardware/rope section. It's 100% cotton diamond braid. I use it as wick in my betty lamp.

Your right! I don't believe it.... :haha:

They never have anything but cotton with poly core at my Walmart...

And rats!....I was just at TSC the other day and didn't even look for it.... :doh:

Fwiw, members who want a high-quality cotton sheet should "look about" at the discount stores like STEINMART & TUESDAY MORNING.

I bought an "oyster" colored king flat sheet at STEINMART in 100% cotton (last PM & after reading this thread), with 600 thread count, for 7.99 (marked down from 19.95) plus tax & that I'm planning to waterproof (after sewing in tabs/loops/reinforcements) with BLP/mineral spirits.
(THANKS for giving me the idea of a bedsheet for a light/rain-resistant shelter.)

yours, satx

Back