• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Shelter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice project, and It should give you good service. May I ask a question without ruffling feathers? You do a NA impression, I believe. I've been scratching my head and trying to recall any reference I ever saw to a NA using a tent, other than the familiar tipi, and have come up empty. Did they use them? How does this type of camp fit into a NA impression? I can certainly understand it from the point of view of modern day events, but I am curious about the situation in the day.

Spence

Perhaps an Indian scout.......
Natives seemed to readily adopt many of the white man's things....clothing, blankets, guns.....hard to imagine a shelter being that much different...

But a very interesting question.... :hmm:

I assume this was taken in the late 1800s

vmL2pHb.jpg

LOacsdu.jpg

A sweat lodge that appears to be canvas.....

It's difficult to find documentation from a culture that was nearly wiped from the face of the earth...

No feather ruffling at all Spence, your comments are always welcome and respected. At HC events this shelter will NEVER be pitched or brought along. I would find its use at a HC event disrespectful to my ancestors and the interpretation. This is rather for personal hunting/ trekking use. Not at all intended to be something that will be used while in garb. For period events it's either the long house, or open skys! :thumbsup:

Clyde you are indeed right, Natives certainly utilized and tailored allot of the "white mans" gear to suit their needs.

I'm actually working on permanent structure for my backyard.

Many issues surrounding sweat lodges surface in modern mainstream society. As to which allot of misconceptions and alterations to their meaning exist that's tarnished their reputation. The modern culture has certainly twisted many of the sacred ancestral medicines and rituals.

If you are interested in the culture of the plains Indians, and have not read it, you would enjoy Hidatsa Eagle Trapping, by the anthropologist Gilbert Livingston Wilson. It is one of several scholarly papers done by Wilson which I find remarkable. Mostly in the words of the Hidatsa, intimate and detailed, with remarkable insight into many of their beliefs and rituals. Available online in PDF format.

Spence

Thank you for posting that information, while I have no ties to the plains culture I do find the differences and similarities very interesting and certainly informative. I'll have to look into this!

I'm trying to get my wife back into real camping, her idea and experience is with a camper. A tipi is very appealing in this situation and on my list for strictly family recreational use.

It's funny because if I had a dollar for every person who asked were my tipi was at events I'd be rich... Allot of misunderstanding about the two cultures exist and lodging is one!

Crewdawg445 said:
I'm trying to get my wife back into real camping, her idea and experience is with a camper. A tipi is very appealing in this situation and on my list for strictly family recreational use.
As you appear to be a little "east" for a traditional tipi - might I suggest a wedge. I had a long-term ladyfriend that agreed to come along to Rendezvous and her stipulation was a tent in which she could stand upright and get dressed. With that in mind, I ended up purchasing the Tentsmiths Museum Wedge, had them install a stove-jack and got a stove. We call it the "Canvas Hilton". While it may not be absolutely correct (most common people didn't use tents), I do get fresh-baked desserts and other advantages from this set-up. My tent is also very popular on days when the rains/snows come and it is cold outside. It's surprising how many people you can get into a tent that size.

When doing "period", I'm in the woods with the guys and everything I use is on my back. I do carry a tarp, but most often it is used as a ground-cloth to keep forest debris out of my hand-woven blanket. Shelters, when erected, are a combination of natural materials and pieces of canvas that we have brought along. We even built a Wikiup years ago - by far the most comfortable improvised shelter I've used.

Certainly to far east for sure! A tipi never would be used at any HC event. My intention would be solely for recreational use with the family.

Also, IMHO a tipi is without a doubt one of the best shelters all around and a true sight once erected. Indeed they are cumbersome to pitch, but once up your set with style and functionality.

I've entertained many shelter ideas and the only one that remotely would fit the bill at HC events would certainly be a wedge for sure.

However I'm like you, a ground cloth just usually winds hands down.

Once up, a tipi is surely the pinnacle of comfort. Very comfortable and spacious.

They certainly have a glow to them, very appealing and just graceful.

The only issue I have is pole transportation... still haven't figured that one out which is a big reason why I continue to push it off.

Sure would look funny hauling 20'+ lodge poles on or behind a dodge dart!

It has probably been done. Though you'll need to add a rack and beef up the suspension.

I figure if a friend of mine can get a full-grown cow elk, 2 people and hunting gear in a Renault Le Car, you can get tipi poles on your Dart

The best thing for me, it's letting you get out in the hills for extended periods.... Without needing a horse to pack your gear, but without excuse for staying home in rotten weather.

Guys get kind of opinionated about frontier life, based on guesswork from reading the sparse and questionable historic accounts. If you doubt that, think about the accuracy of today's press stories where the reporters have tape recorders, videos, drones, computers and "expert analysts." There's a lot that's lost between the lines and from skewing to fit popular politics, so imagine what it was like back in the day....

The alternative is busting away from the range, the rondy, the computer and the road to try living some of the stuff yourself. That's where the real history lessons are to be found in my book. Would you rather believe a guy who's read everything available in books and computer files, or a guy who's actually gone out into the hills and DONE IT using period tools and materials?

Good on ya for getting out in the hills Crewdog, even if you have to make allowances in your shelter for lack of a horse. I'll be looking for the lessons you pass along about how to actually use all this stuff we're so proud of.

:thumbsup:

There's no substitute for actually getting out and doing it, even if that means your backyard in a storm to test gear... (yes I've done it many times). I've learned many lessons that have honestly saved allot of frustration and hardships in the field, all from my backyard.

Unfortunately I'm not out near enough as I'd like to be... Which I think we all can agree on that. Allot of the times that's why I pitch it in the backyard around the fire!

I'm very thankful and lucky to have access to a substantial amount of land and blessed with many woodland areas to enjoy.

Now when it comes to the family, it indeed is different. The wife is picky as is the toddler who's afraid of any and every insect creature... With me adopting her when she was five months old, she unfortunately doesn't have daddy's jeans of loving it all! She's learning, and I'm starting to see how attentive she is when we talk about good plants/ bad itchy plants and what not. Makes me proud! So long story short, their comfort is of great importance to me when out so they enjoy the beauty of the wild.

Me personally, nothing better than ruffing it! However, I must say enjoying the comfort of a tipi is wonderful, my daughter and wife also enjoy them so it's a winner.

Not entirely sure we're the direction of this rambling post was heading... lol.

Essentially, I guess I'm saying your very right! Sitting behind a book, computer or what not is no comparison to getting out and doing it! Even if you bend the rules to get family involved.

People make fun of me allot for not owning a computer and having cable TV with all the latest high tech devices... I use the same busted up phone I've had for years for all my "tech" needs... Unplugging and enjoy the outdoors is extremely important in my book! :hatsoff:

You are the winner sir!!!

When I was younger my dad built a small wiigiwaam on my grandparents property, something I've always wanted to build on my own land and it's about time!

Problem is, I'll end up living in it more than my house!

My first vous at age 13, I slept in my uncles tipi with my brother and cousin. Talk about being spoiled. We had that fire so hot we were sweating!

I do remember one event in that tipi that it seemingly rained the whole time. Felt like the entire club was in there at one point.

However, I do like the ease of my pyramid with how it mimics a tipi as well.

Ya I really like your pyramid, that's another option I've contemplated for awhile.

Being picky I have to analyze every aspect of a tent purchase before I make smoke on the deal... :doh:

Back