• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Shelter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you all have glanced upon a previous post of mine, I made a shelter from a 12oz 9x12 canvas tarp, waterproofed with linseed oil and mineral spirits. The overall outcome of the project turned out as expected and was fantastic. One fatal flaw however and I knew it from the start... weight.

Now I personally didn't mind as its intended use was to be only for events, however my mindset and focus quickly changed. I love to overnight in the woods while on hunts, therefore a light weight shelter was on my project list.

I settled upon a lightweight queen sized, 400 thread count, 100% cotton sheet for my new oilskin. I absolutely can't stress 100% cotton, no blends.

Washed and dried twice, then I began to sew and I mean sew... I cut heavy duck canvas for the reinforced areas, as well as triple thick canvas in three areas were a ridge pole could be used. Sewed all canvas (triple stiched) in multiple locations for pitching versatility. I used heavy cotton webbing for stake points which also allow for ropes. Overall, I'm much more pleased with the project, weight is great as it sure beats the heavy canvas!

Durability wise it's obvious a cotton sheet is no canvas, here is were again one needs to utilize common sense in its limitations and functions.

As of now it's going through the drying process after last nights waterproofing, again 50/50 BLSO and mineral spirits.

hVT86Be.jpg

20581jr.jpg

oJgXugx.jpg

f76B5ur.jpg

Here is my original canvas shelter, worked wonderfully! We even had an absolute downpour all night through our last event, bone dry! I gifted it to a fellow friend who was in need of a shleter.

QoOkG6s.jpg

Over and above the excellent weight reduction, there's an important design change you don't mention.

In the photo of the heavy original, the fabric at the rear and down the sides is resting on the ground wasting space in addition to weight. Your new design is up off the ground in those areas to vastly increase interior space.

Well done.

That looks awesome my friend.. Love the canvas that you sewed on to make your ties stronger.. You are a jack of all trades my friend, can't wait to see it set up at Beginners.

"I absolutely can't stress 100% cotton, no blends."

I can attest to that! Did you sew tie downs before or after waterproofing?

Definitely before, however you can always do it and treat those areas again. I'll actually be doing a little more sewing, I'll end up touching those small areas up with a beeswax mixture.

That's what I thought. I was planning on tying to a handful of rocks/roundballs but then I got to thinking about the material ripping.

Mine weighs maybe 2 lbs. Getting harder to come up with reasons to postpone our trekking trip!

You are an enterprising, entergetic and hard working guy. You fit well into my loved "do yer own thang" category. However that turns out for your use, congratulations on completing that project. And, as for gifting the other to a friend: you are a good and generous friend indeed. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the kind words, it's much appreciated!

This evening after work I went out to flip the cloth, drying should be wrapped up in another day. The canvas was fantastic, just absolutely no way trekking it even on an overnighter was possible. As of now I'm estimating the weight to be under 5lbs, once completely dry that number should drop.

Again, being a light weight sheet for under one Andrew Jackson I'm very happy.

I like your idea however will the cotton sheet last or stand up to wind. Im curious because Im looking for a shelter also with the same intent. I like to go into the bush and flyfish and hunt and sometimes some of the canvas products are to heavy unless I have a horse in trail loaded down. Im wondering if they make some canvas lighter then 10oz.

Beaver T.

P.s. Still can't make up my mind on a Tipi or a Baker.

Yes I agree, wasted space and the new design looks great and plenty of room for a back pack or other items.

Beaver T.

They do make lighter canvas, however what you give for weight you sacrifice in weave. If the weave is not tight, forget about trying to waterproof it. Sherwin Williams had the best options during my search. Even their 8oz was not sufficient enough IMO for proper waterproofing.

Personally I'm not to worried about winds. If it's to the point of ripping the shelter apart I've got bigger issues. As you can see from the heavy reinforced areas, I did my best with that in mind.

Allot of times I sleep without a shelter, just nice to have the lightweight option in rain.

Crewdawg445 said:
Personally I'm not to worried about winds. If it's to the point of ripping the shelter apart I've got bigger issues. As you can see from the heavy reinforced areas, I did my best with that in mind.

Allot of times I sleep without a shelter, just nice to have the lightweight option in rain.

I have lots of time with tents and tarp shelters on the tundra in high winds. Wide open spaces and little if anything to block the wind.

There's an easy solution most folks don't think of- Just knock the poles down for the duration. T'aren't going to be all that comfortable, but your shelter will survive as you're still protected from the wind and rain. Kinda like sleeping on the ground with a tarp over you. Done that to.

Well, tarp is completely dry or more correctly the "sheet" is dry.

Stiffened up well, weight is almost 4lbs and folds up neatly.

Shot the heck out of it with water and no surprise, bone dry.

IMO, seems plenty durable for just about any shelter needs and it can be used to carry or collect water. Very satisfied with this project!

Thats good, I guess my train of thought was if 100% cotton thats real thin so I didn't know if over time it would weaken and rip with winds. But if it works thats great.

Beaver T.

Any thoughts of a tie-in door flap for that great shelter? I envision a series of canvas ribbons set 6" or so inside the opening, mating to a shaped flap you could attach or remove, depending on weather. Sure would go a long ways to making it all-weather.

Actually no need, the way I positioned the stake points allows me to pitch the shelter in a way that essentially has flaps, and they can be tied shut!

Now with this method you are sacrificing a bit of floor space but nothing one person is going to miss.

I'll try and get a few images of that option set up. I'm on a long work stretch so unfortunately time has been short for projects but I'll get them up soon.

Back