• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another serial number question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The last time I asked a SN# question I got a little bit drug over the coals!

Being hard to deter (and possibly hard headed) I'm asking another. I picked up a used CVA Hawken. Hawken is the only identifier in terms of nomenclature. It's not a mountain rifle. One barrel key and 28" barrel. Set triggers, percussion with drum.

The numbers look like this 87 (long space) 427914. The 87 is far enough from the six digits that one might think it is not a part of the SN. I think it is a kit gun based on the fit to metal with some extra wood at the wood to metal points.

Definitely made in Spain. Any thoughts on the manufacture date?

According to others in the know....

The first 2 digits are the year of manufacture the last is the serial number.

Your good with this one,
The CVA and Traditions Arms Spanish manufacture did change the SN# in the later years to indicate year of manufacture as the first part of the SN.
Too be honest I'm not exactly sure when,, but mid 80's is about right.

So, guessing it was made in '87 then?

Pretty sure it was a kit. Too many little things that probably wouldn't have, or at least shouldn't have, gotten out the door with a factory finished gun.

Back