• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another rifle on the blog.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today is a jumping day on the blog. Here is another rifle from Kentucky. www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com

IMG-2803.jpg

@EC121 , are you Brice? You have a great blog, with some really nice rifles shown.

I like everything about the Squire Boone rifle. Nicely executed "folk art" on a very functional gun. The incised carving based on Squire Boone's artwork is a nice touch. What is the drop and length of pull on that gun?

One other question for you, involving some translation... I read the piece on your blog about "Humpy" the hog, and noted the words freischling and uberlaufer. I get the gist of it, but would like to get a clearer translation, if you don't mind. Google Translate just didn't come through for me on these.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob

I am Brice. The EC121 is the plane I flew on as a radar tech. in the USAF. I don't know what the specs are on the gun. My buddy with some of his friends in Ky. built it for the raffle at Ft. Boonesborough later this year.
German terms are names for the various wild hogs. A freischlinge is a piglet of ether sex. An uberlaufer is a young boar and a Keiler is a mature boar. A bacche is a sow.
Here is a breakdown. "Wild boar are classified in three age groups: frischlinge (0-12 months); überläufer (13-24 months); bachen (females >25 months); and keiler (males >25 months)." If you get "Wild Boar Fever" on your TV, you have to learn the names to know what they are talking about. They go around Europe and shoot driven boars from elevated stands at these fancy hunting lodges. You will see some amazing running shots made.

Last edited:
I am Brice. The EC121 is the plane I flew on as a radar tech. in the USAF. I don't know what the specs are on the gun. My buddy with some of his friends in Ky. built it for the raffle at Ft. Boonesborough later this year.
German terms are names for the various wild hogs. A freischlinge is a piglet of ether sex. An uberlaufer is a young boar and a Keiler is a mature boar. A bacche is a sow.
Here is a breakdown. "Wild boar are classified in three age groups: frischlinge (0-12 months); überläufer (13-24 months); bachen (females >25 months); and keiler (males >25 months)." If you get "Wild Boar Fever" on your TV, you have to learn the names to know what they are talking about. They go around Europe and shoot driven boars from elevated stands at these fancy hunting lodges. You will see some amazing running shots made.
Thank you for taking the time to post that detailed response! It is much appreciated!

We don't own a television. My wife and I sometimes find videos to watch on the computer, but I'm really out of the loop as far as current programming. I looked up Wild Boar Fever and found they do have some videos online. I'll check 'em out!

The wild boar terminology is interesting. In the southern American English dialects with which I am familiar, the word "piglet" is understood but not used. The little ones (frischlinge, I guess) are just "pigs," while the adults are "hogs." A sub-adult (uberlaufer ?) of either sex would be a "shoat." A young female, pig or shoat, would be a "gilt." The intact males are "boars," regardless of age. Older females are "sows." Castrated males are properly termed "barrows," but in southern dialect are often called "barrs" or "barr hogs." I understand it is not uncommon for wild hogs to be trapped, and the young males castrated and released, to be hunted later. This is going on the theory that barr hogs produce better meat and grow to a larger size than intact males.

In any event, I'll take a look at the videos.

I was asking about the dimensions of the rifle because I am small, by today's standards. A "normal" 14" LOP is a little longer than I can shoot comfortably, and anything longer than that is pretty much out of the question. Something around 13" up to a maximum of 13-1/2" would be best for me. I might be interested in getting in on that raffle if the rifle is sized so I can use it.

Thanks again for the response!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Most of my rifles are less than 13.5". If the price or builder is right, I'll buy a longer gun. A longer gun will work out of a shooting house or tree stand with a windowsill or rail for a rest, but I don't like stretching for a trigger when shooting offhand.

Back