• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another pistol build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coggan

32 Cal
Reaction score
The same as the last two posted, 70's, hacksaw & file etc. The engraving is before I knew better 🙂

Phil
brass 1.jpg

brass 2 x.jpg

brass 3.jpg

brass 4.jpg

Beautiful ! I’ve always liked those muff pistols. A long time ago in the 1980’s, I restored one of those for a friend from work. It was given to him by an older gentleman who was stationed in England while serving in the Mighty Eighth Army Air Force. The gentleman bought the pistol supposedly in London at an antique shop. He brought it back to the U.S. when he and his aircrew were rotated back to the States. From what I remember of that pistol was that it was referred to as a “turn barrel” and I remember the term “Queen Anne”. Since then, those pieces have intrigued me.
Thank you for showing that. :thumb:

You are right about turn barrel, a Queen Anne pistol is a little different and usually costs more :)

Can't remember the calibre.

The Queen Anne pics shows the obvious differences :) and castings cut the work time dramatically ! Maybe the escucheon would look better semi inlayed?

Hi Phil, I did inlet it to about 2 mm or so, it looks more proud in the photo than it actually is in hand. It was my first build and that was by far the most finicky piece for inletting so I played towards the side of caution as to not end up over sizing it and ruining the stock.

Unfortunately, even though I made quite a lot of pistols, and two East India Company. (39" & 42" barrels) Brown Bess muskets back then, I only have a few left, I found that building from scratch very hard work and time consuming, my interest in engraving took over and that's what I've been doing full time since 1984, but I have an antique pistol collection, of flinters and Colts.

At the time, I was experimenting with making gravers that cut, I had no real idea of the geometry, the naming as not as flowing as it should be.

I tried several new to me skills with my first rifle I recently built, engraving was almost one of them and I chose not to. Now I'm glad i didnt because to my eye this one looks pretty nice so I surely would have screwed up my rifle.

In looking at the photos of the two different pistols, the one I worked was much closer to the first one. The Queen Anne is very different. Beautiful work !

Back