• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another one I need an ID on

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally started looking at all we bought that Saturday. This S X S looks like the nicest of the 3 SxS in both condition and good looks. I pulled the barrels to see the proof marks, which I don't know what I'm looking at. The lock say's Paris but the proof mark looks like England to me. I'm just guessing but might be 14 ga.?
Thanks follks

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 89
Proof is Belgium gun likely got up for Parisien maker to retail , lock shape looks unusual at the front but fine .
Rudyard

I have restored several French made guns with the Belgian Proof marks , maybe the barrels were made in Belgium or other wise no proof house in France so the gun was sent to Belgium to be proofed
Feltwad

P1010009.JPG

Last edited:
Makes sense to me, it surprises me there was no proof house in France. If the bores clean up like I think they will I may shoot this one. Lite loads, just enough to break some clays at my club.

Yes Zonie, I figure that 17.6 was mm and was the bore also. The Westly Richards measures the same and from what I read 14 ga. is still popular in Europe. Looks like I'll make a punch on my lathe to make wads and cards if I try it out. I will use my hand held magnaflux to check for cracks first though and a few string pulls.

I have restored several French made guns with the Belgian Proof marks , maybe the barrels were made in Belgium or other wise no proof house in France so the gun was sent to Belgium to be proofed
Feltwad

View attachment 76255
My mistake yes there was a proof house but not compulsory most likely barrels were bought in from Belgium
Feltwad

The Saint-Etienne Proof House was created by royal appointment in 1782. This comes from their own website. Belgium, per se, did not exist as a separate entity until 1831, so no doubt many guns made for sale in France were proofed in Liége, then, as now, a major city and gun-making centre.

Latest posts

Back