• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another "No" to muzzleloader hunting....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I follow how the type of gun and ammunition you will be using comes into play. When I ask permission to hunt, it goes something like, "Hi, would you mind if I were to hunt <game species> on your land?..."
The type of firearm and ammunition I might use is my methods and means and has never been inquired. For example if I secure permission to hunt doves on a farm, I own several guns I might chose to use on any given day. Whether I show up with my 12 gauge pump, 20 gauge SXS, or flintlock fowler is my prerogative and has no bearing on my permission to hunt there.
Now around here there are land owners who might give you permission to hunt deer during archery season, but not rifle, or vise-versa. But even then, if I am granted permission to hunt say archery, then whether I show up with a compound bow or a traditional long bow is of no consequence to the landowner.
Got to agree. Have permission to ‘quietly’ archery hunt on most of my neighbors properties. Have permission to ‘gun’ hunt on one neighbor’s property, but choose to archery hunt only on the property, no matter the season. Have not discussed, nor do I feel it necessary to discuss longbows, recurve bows, compound bows, crows bows, fixed broad heads, mechanical broad heads, flintlock, percussion, traditional, in-line, roundball, conical, or whatever you can come up with, with anyone. Archery or firearm seems to be, at least for me, and the landowners whose property I hunt on, the deciding factor on permission to hunt said property.

Fear!
Bubba turns up and royally screws up.
They fthen later fear getting another Bubba turn up so appease themselves by adding completely unfounded limitations that have no bearing on any outcome what so ever.

I have a handshake agreement with a friend in Sussex County NJ. I clear his snow ,I hunt his land. Not big, but enough to support some mighty fine Deer. I am the only one. You see there many Neighborhood Deer that have spent time and Generations getting big. You would be shocked at what roams around on what most consider a Congested State.
It seems for what its worth, Friendship and a Persons word still carry Weight, at least here.

I have never heard of anyone being so ignorant of firearms to think a flintlock won't shoot very far. SMH.

Good luck with this problem. Have you considered getting your own lease on hunting land?

The number of bison east of the Mississippee river were estimated to exceed 2 million when English colonies were established in North America. By 1820 (before the time when percussion rifles arrived in the USA), the bison was virtually gone from east of the Mississippi. I wonder, what type of "high powered" weapon did people at that time possess that was capable of killing bison?

there is a law in MAINE , that if you post your land to no hunting, then you cannot hunt on the land of another! I think that is great.

Deer hunting has become a money racket, like bj n poker, you rent a blind n play the odds... lol suckers... just walk around in the woods theres plenty, u dun need a damn box built in a cornfield with heating n air... to kill a deer...hard core against this bs practice... cuz its bs... but ok...

This is getting old. For some reason in the area surrounding where I live people are opposed to allowing me to hunt with my flintlock rifle. Last year I had 3 different people extend and invitation only to withdraw it when they learned I wanted to use my flintlock rifle. This year I have sought out a place to deer hunt with my flintlock because I lost 2 places I previously had. In some cases I would be paying for a lease or a day-hunt opportunity. Already, 2 different people said "okay" only to revoke the offer upon learning I intend to use a flintlock. One person said, " we can't get you closer than 50-yards from a deer so you will be wasting your time and never be able to get one". I told him the rifle is sighted in for 100-yards and I have taken animals out to 140-yards with no problem. He then decided "everyone says they can shoot far but seldom can they actually pull it off hunting". Whatever! The next person said the blinds were 80-yards or less from where the deer should be and that you can often stalk close to them on the creek. I say, "sounds perfect for my flintlock". Downhill from there.... Man says he can't afford wounded deer getting onto neighbors property because they lease it out. Also says he doesn't want a lot of "extra" shooting because it will spook all the deer (?). I explain the accuracy and reliability and past accomplishments humbly. He said, "sounds ridiculous", and "I'm not willing to take that chance".

Well, people have a right to do as they please on their property and as a guest, paying or otherwise I have to follow their rules. It just gets frustrating to here these falsehoods over and over. I have lived in 7 States and a US Territory and never experienced this before. In fact, when I lived "up North" I could get more access with a flintlock than a modern rifle. Some places required a shotgun or muzzleloader and centerfire rifles were prohibited.

Ok enough ranting, I march on. In the midst of writing this I got a return phone call from a young man that said I can come and told me they "Never had anyone use a muzzleloader and never even seen a flintlock" on his family's ranch. He told my he looks forward to seeing it. I am going to make sure to let him shoot it some and maybe come up with an inexpensive rifle to leave with him. His curiosity just might turn into a passion if I get him hooked. We'll see how it goes.
Great thinking :thumb:

I make any prospective hunters wanting to hunt my land take my shooting test. If they can hit a paper plate at 50 yards ,ok. If not TAKE A HIKE! My property is very wooded, a 50 yard shot is as far as you will get. Just too many idiots who won’t practice shooting their deer guns....

I was goin to leave this thread ... but just had too, yuh kno? I bet us flintlock/ traditional ( no offense cap lock i have em too) users can shoot better than any shotgun user with iron sights, and a few of you my brothers with good vision... prolly shoot better n scopes... we depend on practice, practice, practice... not 1200.00 scopes on 600.00 shotgun, with rifled barrel etc. Not knockin neither... if u want to hunt in a tank... and its legal... more power to you. Im pretty sure most of us here want to hunt like boone, bridger, fitgerald, colter, smith, etc...and quite a few of us are pretty damn proficient at it...not knockin bow hunters either but that also, aint why we here... ty
And god bless

Fear!
Bubba turns up and royally screws up.
They fthen later fear getting another Bubba turn up so appease themselves by adding completely unfounded limitations that have no bearing on any outcome what so ever.

"Bubba turns up and royally screws up."

This is the cause for a lot of land being off limits.

As a landowner I know what I will allow and what I will not allow on my land. I lease my land and what is permissible and what is not, is in writing. This reduces problems.

I do not have a problem with folks hunting with a ML, my problem is with those who can not hit what they aim at and those who have no idea how to track and find a deer.

Folks get irritated with landowners who will not let them hunt or hunt at they wish. How many folks just let others use their personal house with no rules?

There is a lot of Great Deer hunting on Public land only thing is it usually a long ways from the truck. I will be hunting some tommorrow right here in Iowa. Iowa ranks I believe 48th in public land available. So 47 States have more opportunity than here. Come to Iowa

About 10 years ago I was looking for an Elk Hunt to book. It would be in the black powder season and I would be using my .54 Caliber flintlock.
Finally I found what I was looking for, a large private ranch that backed up to landlocked national forest land. In the past some really huge bulls had come off this ranch. And if I wanted too I could make it a horseback hunt. Yes Yes I wanted that.
This was my 4th time speaking with this rancher. Except for my deposit this hunt was finalized and I would send it off that night. I was ready to hang up when the rancher asked what I would be hunting with.
A custom .54 flintlock and I'm pretty good with it, I said. He just said "No" Not with me your not.
Go buy yourself an inline with a scope and you can hunt..
I just said, "No".

Darkhorse , good for you. I have a customer or three who send me photo's of Mule deer they shoot in Colorado every year , w/o hunting on someones private ground . If you're a good enough hunter with a muzzle loader , then you should be allowed to hunt. ...........oldwood

I have never heard of anyone being so ignorant of firearms to think a flintlock won't shoot very far. SMH.

Clearly you don't live on the East Coast of the USA. ;)

For example, it was illegal in most counties in Maryland to use a modern rifle in .45-70 Government, but you could use a muzzleloader shooting a 405 grain conical projectile launched with 120 grains of black powder. 🤔

As for "won't shoot very far"...., that's a viewpoint depending on what each person considers "far". 🙂

Sure, if I launched my round ball from my .54 flinter at a 45 degree angle, it's going a pretty good distance. But firing level to the ground at 1300 fps my round ball with a BC of .075 will hit the ground right at about 230 yards. One of the more popular modern cartridges now being used in Maryland since the restrictions this year allow "straight walled cartridges", will go an additional hundred yards before impact into the ground. Another popular cartridge that is "necked" will go 500 yards, which is more than 2x the distance that my little ol' round ball will go.

(The above information including a mention of modern cartridges is intended to provide traditional round ball hunters data for discussion on why a traditional rifle with a round ball might have an advantage when explained to a land owner. Please one and all forgive the mention of the modern stuff. )

LD

No, I don't live on either "left coast." I live in a red state with slightly more intelligent leadership.

I've been to Maryland several times though, western Maryland is just like any red state but the state is held in bondage by Baltimore.

What happens is politics is a popularity contest and stupid people win those all the time.

I was once invited to join a camp club in the Adirondacks and invited to hunt all I want. I said "Ya, great!" and said I will bring my Hawken .54. I was told they would loan me "someone's" .30-30 and I need to leave the Hawken at home. I told them I was too busy to come to their camp. I really think they just wanted younger blood to help fix up and clean up around the camp any way.

NY Yankee...

Wow, I guess this firearms ignorance is more wide-spread than I thought!

Last summer I came to the realization that in hunting, one only gets one shot. "One shot, one kill" is what we should all strive for and it's all I've ever gotten anyway. Having only one shot forces one to be patient and deliberate. Muzzleloaders fit that bill.

You were correct not to go. For one thing, borrowing a firearm isn't a good idea unless one has the time to test fire and make sure it is reliable, accurate, and that the sights are regulated.

I was once invited to join a camp club in the Adirondacks and invited to hunt all I want. I said "Ya, great!" and said I will bring my Hawken .54. I was told they would loan me "someone's" .30-30 and I need to leave the Hawken at home. I told them I was too busy to come to their camp. I really think they just wanted younger blood to help fix up and clean up around the camp any way.

I ran into a similar situation many years ago. I wanted to BP hunt but the bozos said I'd have to use a shotgun with buckshot! These guys were major blowhards that worshiped ignorance.

NY Yankee, we get that out here on the Left Coast, too. One hunting club that advertises in the barber shops, etc. wants new blood to keep the organization solvent, but all the good spots and opening days are all booked up year-to-year by the founders of the club. Cute Ponzi scheme-type-deal, IMO. New folks get the bad days and marginal areas, always. They wanted to come to my house to 'interview' me prior to membership, I told them to walk, I have my own land and pond, and forest to hunt. Except all the critters except buzzards are nocturnal...... TinHorn

Latest posts

Back