• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another "No" to muzzleloader hunting....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is getting old. For some reason in the area surrounding where I live people are opposed to allowing me to hunt with my flintlock rifle. Last year I had 3 different people extend and invitation only to withdraw it when they learned I wanted to use my flintlock rifle. This year I have sought out a place to deer hunt with my flintlock because I lost 2 places I previously had. In some cases I would be paying for a lease or a day-hunt opportunity. Already, 2 different people said "okay" only to revoke the offer upon learning I intend to use a flintlock. One person said, " we can't get you closer than 50-yards from a deer so you will be wasting your time and never be able to get one". I told him the rifle is sighted in for 100-yards and I have taken animals out to 140-yards with no problem. He then decided "everyone says they can shoot far but seldom can they actually pull it off hunting". Whatever! The next person said the blinds were 80-yards or less from where the deer should be and that you can often stalk close to them on the creek. I say, "sounds perfect for my flintlock". Downhill from there.... Man says he can't afford wounded deer getting onto neighbors property because they lease it out. Also says he doesn't want a lot of "extra" shooting because it will spook all the deer (?). I explain the accuracy and reliability and past accomplishments humbly. He said, "sounds ridiculous", and "I'm not willing to take that chance".

Well, people have a right to do as they please on their property and as a guest, paying or otherwise I have to follow their rules. It just gets frustrating to here these falsehoods over and over. I have lived in 7 States and a US Territory and never experienced this before. In fact, when I lived "up North" I could get more access with a flintlock than a modern rifle. Some places required a shotgun or muzzleloader and centerfire rifles were prohibited.

Ok enough ranting, I march on. In the midst of writing this I got a return phone call from a young man that said I can come and told me they "Never had anyone use a muzzleloader and never even seen a flintlock" on his family's ranch. He told my he looks forward to seeing it. I am going to make sure to let him shoot it some and maybe come up with an inexpensive rifle to leave with him. His curiosity just might turn into a passion if I get him hooked. We'll see how it goes.

Last year I had 3 different people extend and invitation only to withdraw it when they learned I wanted to use my flintlock rifle.

I've not had the method that I use to hunt come up in a conversation when I've asked permission to hunt..., unless the land owner asked me what I was going to use, or they expressed some concern about distances and I reassured them that what I use is less likely to "shoot out of safe" than the guys using the modern style stuff. I take my phone with photos along, but this has seldom ever come up.

IF the person gives me permission to "hunt deer" and does not add a modifier such as, "..., but I only allow archery", or, "no handguns", etc. then that land owner is giving me permission to use any of the four legal methods (archery, handgun, shotgun/rifle, muzzleloader).

One fellow once told me, "no rifles", and I asked him to clarify...., did he mean that I couldn't use a shotgun with a rifled barrel for slugs nor muzzleloaders? He replied that it wasn't legal to use a modern rifle, and he just wanted to be sure I didn't wish to use one on his property.

If by chance a land owner was to see me with the flintlock, and said, "well if I had known you were going to use that, I would've said no." Then I would let him know it was kind of him to give me permission, and I have photos of past deer taken with one shot from my flintlock if he'd like to see, but I understand.

I've had "archery only" land owners give me permission to use a bow, IF I was so inclined, and liked that I used a muzzle loader, but didn't want the sound of shots, and were worried about a bullet going astray. BUT such folks make it clear, there is a restriction the minute they give permission..... and they should. They have no "right" to say "sure you can hunt here, let me sign your permission slip", and then get bent out of shape when they see me using a shotgun or a muzzleloader, and they only allow archery (for example) if they didn't tell me, "only archery".

LD

Last edited:
Some of that ignorance comes right from modern sellers themselves. I can remember the description for round balls on the Cabela's website some years ago that basically said they were good for "plinking" with your muzzleloaders. Did not mention or say anything about being highly effective on game or highly accurate with a good load, etc. While what they said wasn't exactly a lie (eg: fake news) it left the impression that a round ball was a cheap ammunition to "plink" vs a part of an effective game load in a traditional rifle. :mad:

This is getting old. For some reason in the area surrounding where I live people are opposed to allowing me to hunt with my flintlock rifle.
Have found just the opposite in North Carolina and New York, two of the states I hunt every year. Landowners I have run into find it intriguing when I use a flintlock. One landowner was absolutely amazed that I took two deer one morning with two shots from my flintlock, and was telling anyone who would listen about feat. Family ran a small diner in town so word spread fast. Luck of the draw with landowners I guess.

SDSmlf- NY and NC are two of the States I used to live in that I was referring to!

Around here a lot of owners/managers will ask what caliber rifle or something of the sort because either they have a minimum that they require or because they are used to having to tell someone how far it is from a box blind to a feeder (most people hunt that way). The topic comes up because I want to use a make-shift blind or sit on the ground, or spot and stalk if possible. Oh well - I think I found a good one with this youngster's invitation....

Sounds to me like a whole lot of people with preconceived notions regarding muzzle loaders without their ever checking the facts

Im lucky the place I have permission to hunt, the owner couldnt care less what I hunt with so long as its legal.

Imsorry you havethese problems as New Zealand has no seasonsotbag limits or tags and the permit isfree good for6 mounths useally on any Crown land Read State land if private land owners you must ask and few decline some forets re

I think you should shoot a group at a target at 100 yards and show the target to prove your results.
Go ahead and mount a scope on your flintlock and that will impress them !
OR
Find out where folks competitively target shoot and get the results of those contests if they use paper targets. I think the skirmish society and re-enactors etc shoot at clay targets... either hit or miss.... . hard to show results unless you can show the size of the clay target and tell the distance.

Matter of fact, if you are out on the land with the owner who is questioning you.... Show by example like Quiggley Down Under. March out across a field and take a cardboard box etc and shoot it as a demonstration.

I've had the same experience. Twice I've been sitting along the road with my gear and my flintlock rifle and had people stop and ask about it. in both cases they pointed out where their properties were and said that I'd be welcome to hunt there if I was using "that rifle". As the OP pointed out, people can do as they choose on their own properties and all we can do is try to educate those who don't understand the efficiency of a well-tuned flintlock rifle.

Have found just the opposite in North Carolina and New York, two of the states I hunt every year. Landowners I have run into find it intriguing when I use a flintlock. One landowner was absolutely amazed that I took two deer one morning with two shots from my flintlock, and was telling anyone who would listen about feat. Family ran a small diner in town so word spread fast. Luck of the draw with landowners I guess.

Not sure I follow how the type of gun and ammunition you will be using comes into play. When I ask permission to hunt, it goes something like, "Hi, would you mind if I were to hunt <game species> on your land?..."
The type of firearm and ammunition I might use is my methods and means and has never been inquired. For example if I secure permission to hunt doves on a farm, I own several guns I might chose to use on any given day. Whether I show up with my 12 gauge pump, 20 gauge SXS, or flintlock fowler is my prerogative and has no bearing on my permission to hunt there.
Now around here there are land owners who might give you permission to hunt deer during archery season, but not rifle, or vise-versa. But even then, if I am granted permission to hunt say archery, then whether I show up with a compound bow or a traditional long bow is of no consequence to the landowner.

Back