• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Newbie from Pacific Northwest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E2AAEE12-239F-4444-AEF2-7B2943F00B51.jpeg

welcome from Ideehooo!

hello Ideehooo!

I am in north Ideehooo myself.If I go a few miles north I am in Canada, a few mile East or West and I am in Montana, or Washington.

Welcome from a not soon enough ex-Californian and possibly your new neighbor!
Can we assume “.010” is your patch material?
That’s really thin. .018” ticking on up to .022” denim will hold up better.
Chase down your patches as you work up a pet load for each gun. Accuracy always suffers with torn patches.
It’s all part of the fun! A new barrel can rip up even thick patches and not shoot well.
This is a great place to find answers that de-mystify BP shooting which adds to the fun.
If you have a problem, chances are someone else has had the same issue in the last 300 years :dunno:
That’s exactly what I meant.
Thanks for the great advice! That’s part of the reason I joined.
No one that I know shoots BP, and the ones I have tried to get interested in it have passed in favor of high capacity black plastic stocked modern rifles. To each his own.

I have been practicing wood skills since I was a kid, and I have finally reached a point financially where I can start putting together my own historically correct shooting kit.

I have a heck of a time loading round balls with the thicker patches due to my arthritis, that’s why I was using the .010 wonder lube patches.

....and just incase it might help, I coat my round balls in Lee lube.

I can bring a small rubber mallet to start the round balls with a thicker patch and see how the accuracy is.

patch thickness will really vary with ball size and individual bore size too.
i have a TC Hawken .50 i shot yesterday and fought like crazy to load a .490 ball with a .018 ticking ball. made some patches from a 1000 thread count 100% cotton (pima cotton if you will :ghostly: ) that measures .0145. loaded easy and shot perfect. 45 yard offhand with 85g homemade fffg.
just play with different material until you find the best for your load.
That’s a great group for offhand!
Thanks again!

I look at Porthill and Creston. We must be close neighbors!
Your up by that “ Simple Living” youtube channel family that has been building their homestead and posting their journey on YouTube. He is a retired Washington police officer. Looks like nice family

Think he is off of Porthill.

I am actually about an hour south of you in the Clark Fork area.

Your up by that “ Simple Living” youtube channel family that has been building their homestead and posting their journey on YouTube. He is a retired Washington police officer. Looks like nice family

Think he is off of Porthill.

I am actually about an hour south of you in the Clark Fork area.
too bad you aren't closer. there is a pretty good group out of CDL. and Blanchard.

To be exact, it rests over the “Lateral Moraine” of an old glacier....which in practical terms translates to every trench dug hits boulders that range in size from pebbles to bowling ball size with a few suv size!

To be exact, it rests over the “Lateral Moraine” of an old glacier....which in practical terms translates to every trench dug hits boulders that range in size from pebbles to bowling ball size with a few suv size!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - 'lateral moraine', NOW you're talkin'! My masters in remote sensing included a very detailed study of the Glacial Lake Missoula floods and post-event geomorphology. Thankfully, we spend at least a month most years in Oregon, where the Northern boundary - the Columbia River Gorge - is THE place to see the effects of five hundred cubic MILES of water heading to the sea. I often visualise Portland under 400 feet of water, as do many folks today, TBH ;) - here's the 'Big Pink' building with all but the top forty feet underwater....

1621154978000.png

This is a friend at Crown point - imagine a wall of water level with the upper bank heights coming at you here...................................shibber................

1621155089856.png

That’s exactly what I meant.
Thanks for the great advice! That’s part of the reason I joined.
No one that I know shoots BP, and the ones I have tried to get interested in it have passed in favor of high capacity black plastic stocked modern rifles. To each his own.

I have been practicing wood skills since I was a kid, and I have finally reached a point financially where I can start putting together my own historically correct shooting kit.

I have a heck of a time loading round balls with the thicker patches due to my arthritis, that’s why I was using the .010 wonder lube patches.

....and just incase it might help, I coat my round balls in Lee lube.

I can bring a small rubber mallet to start the round balls with a thicker patch and see how the accuracy is.
Re: arthritis; a short starter and palm pounder might help.
You can make them out of a golf ball, some dowel and a couple of 9mm or .38 spl cases.
Palm pounder is just a half a ladle of lead wrapped with leather.
6936EA25-3763-40CA-B46B-66F12B104A94.jpeg

These short starters are hardwood balls, .38 spl cases and broken arrow shafts.
The hardest part is getting the Dimple in the case head.
It’s all fun

Re: arthritis; a short starter and palm pounder might help.
You can make them out of a golf ball, some dowel and a couple of 9mm or .38 spl cases.
Palm pounder is just a half a ladle of lead wrapped with leather.
View attachment 77572
These short starters are hardwood balls, .38 spl cases and broken arrow shafts.
The hardest part is getting the Dimple in the case head.
It’s all fun

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - 'lateral moraine', NOW you're talkin'! My masters in remote sensing included a very detailed study of the Glacial Lake Missoula floods and post-event geomorphology. Thankfully, we spend at least a month most years in Oregon, where the Northern boundary - the Columbia River Gorge - is THE place to see the effects of five hundred cubic MILES of water heading to the sea. I often visualise Portland under 400 feet of water, as do many folks today, TBH ;) - here's the 'Big Pink' building with all but the top forty feet underwater....

View attachment 77422

This is a friend at Crown point - imagine a wall of water level with the upper bank heights coming at you here...................................shibber................

View attachment 77423
Lol! Love it!

Back