• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Newbie from Pacific Northwest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks, I have been shooting, casting bullets, and reloading for the last 40+ years.

I finally got inBP, and I am hooked.

Unfortunately I now have severe arthritis, so most my shooting is from a bench, but that’s alright.

I have four rifles ranging from .45 to .50 cal, and have been trying out Pyrodex and Goex.

So far both work well.

I look forward to learning from you folks.

Welcome from East Anglia, UK.

Whether you live in Oregon or Washington, welcome from an occasional Oregonian. You are very fortunate to live somewhere a whole lot nearer than I do to the best darn muzzleloading supplier and general information store in the entire West. I refer, of course, to 'The Gun Works', down just off I-5 in Springfield OR.

As for powder, do your best to ditch the fake stuff as soon as you can - it's handy, sure, but it just isn't the real thing.

BTW, when you go to Springfield, tell Suzi hello for us.

Hello folks, I have been shooting, casting bullets, and reloading for the last 40+ years.

I finally got inBP, and I am hooked.

Unfortunately I now have severe arthritis, so most my shooting is from a bench, but that’s alright.

I have four rifles ranging from .45 to .50 cal, and have been trying out Pyrodex and Goex.

So far both work well.

I look forward to learning from you folks.
Welcome!

Thank you all.

I appreciate all the collective knowledge.

TFoley, I will make it a point to visit Suzi at shop when go into Oregon. Likely in a few months.

As for the Pyrodex, pretty much it is the only thing available to me locally. I recently came into a nice supply of Goex 2F and 3F through a friend, but once that is gone, I must return to the fake stuff.

Tomorrow I will go shoot .440 diameter round balls ( some rcbs swaged and some that I cast in a Lee #90436 mold with almost pure lead )
I am going to use .010.

I also have been offered another rifle by a friends mother in-law. So I will go inspect it after shooting. It is a .50 cal flintlock made by a “ Martin Rifle Works”. Looks beautiful in the pics.

Whether you live in Oregon or Washington, welcome from an occasional Oregonian. You are very fortunate to live somewhere a whole lot nearer than I do to the best darn muzzleloading supplier and general information store in the entire West. I refer, of course, to 'The Gun Works', down just off I-5 in Springfield OR.

As for powder, do your best to ditch the fake stuff as soon as you can - it's handy, sure, but it just isn't the real thing.

I miss Joe!!

Welcome from a not soon enough ex-Californian and possibly your new neighbor!
Can we assume “.010” is your patch material?
That’s really thin. .018” ticking on up to .022” denim will hold up better.
Chase down your patches as you work up a pet load for each gun. Accuracy always suffers with torn patches.
It’s all part of the fun! A new barrel can rip up even thick patches and not shoot well.
This is a great place to find answers that de-mystify BP shooting which adds to the fun.
If you have a problem, chances are someone else has had the same issue in the last 300 years :dunno:

patch thickness will really vary with ball size and individual bore size too.
i have a TC Hawken .50 i shot yesterday and fought like crazy to load a .490 ball with a .018 ticking ball. made some patches from a 1000 thread count 100% cotton (pima cotton if you will :ghostly: ) that measures .0145. loaded easy and shot perfect. 45 yard offhand with 85g homemade fffg.
just play with different material until you find the best for your load.

Attachments

• 20210514_095718.jpg
    20210514_095718.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210515_083725.jpg
    20210515_083725.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210515_083853.jpg
    20210515_083853.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210515_083935.jpg
    20210515_083935.jpg