• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another new one from Wisconsin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BP_Alex

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in the Milwaukee area and just got a Kentucky percussion pistol for my 32nd birthday. I'm a bit of a history buff, looking to explore the old ways of doing things and live more simply. I've never shot BP before, so I am completely new to the hobby. I'm getting sorted on all the accoutrement that I need, watching lots of videos, and looking forward to trying her out soon. Glad to have a forum to ask what I am sure will be many questions!

Welcome, from North Carolina! You will love your Kentucky pistol. If it is a .50 cal, you might start with 25gr of fffg black powder, or Pyrodex P, a .490 round ball, and .15 lubed patch. If it is a .45 cal, 20gr of fffg black powder, or Pyrodex P, a .440 round ball, and .10 or .15 lubed patch. Enjoy, and make some smoke!

Hello all,
I'm in the Milwaukee area and just got a Kentucky percussion pistol for my 32nd birthday. I'm a bit of a history buff, looking to explore the old ways of doing things and live more simply. I've never shot BP before, so I am completely new to the hobby. I'm getting sorted on all the accoutrement that I need, watching lots of videos, and looking forward to trying her out soon. Glad to have a forum to ask what I am sure will be many questions!
Welcome from VA.

Welcome, from North Carolina! You will love your Kentucky pistol. If it is a .50 cal, you might start with 25gr of fffg black powder, or Pyrodex P, a .490 round ball, and .15 lubed patch. If it is a .45 cal, 20gr of fffg black powder, or Pyrodex P, a .440 round ball, and .10 or .15 lubed patch. Enjoy, and make some smoke!

Thanks for the tips! It's a .45, and while the instructions recommend a .445 ball, I'd read they're too tight, so I ordered .440 balls and .15 lubed patches to start out. I got fffg Schuetzen and still looking for a good source of #11 caps!

Hello all,
Howdy from Madison!

Back