• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another idea I had...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tb54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Always thinking about useing what I have, to modify into what I think I want. I’m thinking about modifying my 58 Remington army BP revolver, into a smoothbore revolver to load with shot, for grouse. Thought I’d run the idea by you guys for comment/critique/advice. On one hand I don’t think the revolver accuracy would suffer much with round balls which is generally what I shoot.

Is it legal to hunt grouse with a handgun in your state ?

If so, why not just shoot it on the ground with a ball ?

The pitiful amount of shot and powder that would fit in a revolver wouldn't give you anything lethal beyond 30 feet.

Seems like a good way to ruin a gun to me.

I think you would be better served with a smooth bored pistol of 24 to 20 gauge so you would have sufficient shot. One shot at a time should be all that you need.

Its a good point to verify the legality of hunting grouse with a hand gun.

I’ve thought along these lines, but it would be with a Walker and a spare barrel reamed smooth. A bit of an assumption, but I figure it would be rather comparable to a .410 from a shorter barrel. With a capacity of 60 grns and a ball, which takes up about 15 grns volume giving us a total chamber capacity of about 75 grns. Split that space equally and you have about 38 grns of 3F, which is a little less than 1.25 drams/34 grns which would have a square load of 1/2 ounce of shot and with that load the excess space would no doubt be accounted for with a felt wad and cardboard cards.

With that load I guessed it might be good to 10-15 yds. Maybe when the barrel is reamed it can be left with a slight choke to help hold a better pattern.

Your NMA holding a max of about 40 grns with a ball would give a total capacity of about 55 grns. Split that in half and you have a dismal amount of powder pushing a light load of shot. Were you wanting something for snakes and rats maybe...

Well, it was just a thought, but I appreciate the comments. You brought up some points I hadn’t considered and that’s what I wanted. The light load would only be good for 10-15 yds, but they’re generally flying behind a tree by that time anyways in the woods I hunt. I walk up to more grouse on the ground, than I flush generally. I don’t spose anyone would have a rusty or shot out .44 bbl. laying arround I could experiment with?

I had one of those unmentionable .410 revolvers. With regular buckshot you’d be lucky to get two pellets in a coffee can at ten yards. I’d guess that the much smaller capacity of shot and powder in a revolver cylinder would be much worse.

Latest posts

Back