• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Goonerized 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hooray! I just received my Uberti full fluted 1860 Army back from Goons Gun Works and I’m very impressed so far. Okay, I haven’t shot it yet but the visible work looks beautiful and it’s smooth as butter and it sounds solid as bank vault tumblers. The debris shield and cap post look perfect and all the screws are beautifully refinished. Hell, it just looks and feels great and it’s cool to own a Goon piece of art. I’ll definitely give a range report as soon as I get to shoot it. I’ve got some paper cartridges dip lubed and ready to be sent down range. That’s a cat hair on the second photo, not a cracked frame.
9D461048-7AE5-4B7B-A9C3-14B886F3DA8B.jpeg
F49F1C2E-FC52-47FB-95FD-47D016CA294F.jpeg
E4A06C27-73EF-4AB8-94D3-51E35CA020AC.jpeg
2F676ED7-BD62-4A2C-9D79-6DAF79257B7F.jpeg

Hooray! I just received my Uberti full fluted 1860 Army back from Goons Gun Works and I’m very impressed so far. Okay, I haven’t shot it yet but the visible work looks beautiful and it’s smooth as butter and it sounds solid as bank vault tumblers. The debris shield and cap post look perfect and all the screws are beautifully refinished. Hell, it just looks and feels great and it’s cool to own a Goon piece of art. I’ll definitely give a range report as soon as I get to shoot it. I’ve got some paper cartridges dip lubed and ready to be sent down range. That’s a cat hair on the second photo, not a cracked frame.
View attachment 78655View attachment 78656View attachment 78657View attachment 78658
Beautiful Mike does good work for sure. Did you get the coil spring bolt and adjustable trigger pull modification? Add Slixshot nipples and reliability is like an unmentionable if not better.
Bunk

View attachment 78655View attachment 78656View attachment 78657View attachment 78658

What was the turnaround time?
Does he do the mod that replaces the flat hand spring with a small coil one that requires drilling a hole in the frame?
I am thinking of sending a couple of guns to him, but cannot reach him by phone or e-mail.

I got the Outlaw Mule upgrades. I’ll be sure to get some of those nipples. They use #10s right?
The Slixshot uses REMINGTON # 10 caps. The CCI #11 works usually but not as well.
There is no standard for with percussion caps. like center fire primers (sorry Zonie).
Remington #10 cap and the Remington #11 are the same size but the #11 has a shorter skirt.
The CCI #11 is about the same size as the Remmy #10 but are not exactly the same. and are problematic.
The CCI #10 is smaller that the CCI #11 and is not interchangeable with anything.
The RWS 1075 is a world of it's own and i have not found how to make them work so far.
I hope this helps
Respectfully
Bunk

Yes that helps. Thank you.
He had it for 8 months but in all fairness I told him there was no rush as I don’t shoot it often. He stayed in touch and I wasn’t really too itchy to get it back any time soon. All springs are now coil except the flat mainspring.

Eight months isn't too long for work of his quality. He does the hand spring mod as part of his complete packages. He can be difficult to reach by phone so keep trying. I don't recall having much luck with e-mail but I prefer talking face to face anyway.

I am curious,the cuts on the recoil shield in pictures #1 and #2, what do they do? Is this for cap debris to fall out? Purpose? Curious minds want to know. Never had a pistol professionally tuned. Dont mind me asking, cost?
DL

Ahhh, now that makes sence. I see the stock mounting screws. I never had a revolver with a shoulder stock either. I guess i am missing out on a lot.

Those darn cats! Great pics, thanks! Wow.

Cutouts are for the shoulder stock as mentioned. Goon does fantastic work. He's tuned three of mine to date and they are outstanding.

Cutouts are for the shoulder stock as mentioned. Goon does fantastic work. He's tuned three of mine to date and they are outstanding.
My pair of 1860 Army's that Mike did some years ago now have a total of very close to 1,000 rounds, and by using Remington #10 on the Slixshot nipples there has not been a cap jam.
Just to see if he could prove his brag I have kept a barrel record of every shot fired and they just work so much that there is no drama about it every time i squeeze the trigger I get a bang.
Now center hits are something else but that problem is caused by the loose nut holding the grip.
Respectfully
Bunk

My pair of 1860 Army's that Mike did some years ago now have a total of very close to 1,000 rounds, and by using Remington #10 on the Slixshot nipples there has not been a cap jam.

With the cap rake and the new action shields he is installing, cap frag issues should be non-existent now.

Just to see if he could prove his brag I have kept a barrel record of every shot fired and they just work so much that there is no drama about it every time i squeeze the trigger I get a bang.
Now center hits are something else but that problem is caused by the loose nut holding the grip.
Respectfully
Bunk
I had never heard of Goonie; thanks for the tip, if I ever need work on one, I'll know about him.

1860 Army ... Now center hits are something else but that problem is caused by the loose nut holding the grip.

I wasn't aware that that an 1860 Army grip required a nut as it is one piece of wood held in by the trigger guard and the backstrap, unless you have some aftermarket two-piece grips.

FirearmsSpecialties_44_2a.jpg

Regards,

Jim

Jaegermeister
you hit the nail on the head. If I was not about a half bubble off center i would be shooting those unmentionable 110 year old all steel thingies.
Instead my C&B all steel (minus the grip) shooters would not be on the bench waiting to be loaded
.Bunk

Latest posts

Back