• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another fun day with the TVM Virginia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had my TVM Virginia flintlock out at the range today and I figured out some accuracy issues I have been having with the rifle, especially at 50 yards. I've been shooting from the bench off a bag. I kept thinking to myself :hmm:, there is no way this can be the rifle. After shooting some large groups (sporadic over the 8" shoot-n-c) I started paying very close attention to what I was doing. I realized I have gotten too relaxed while shooting and the rifle was moving when I pulled the trigger. So I snugged up my grip on the forend and pulled the stock in tighter against my shoulder and that fixed it! After working that out I put up a new target (this was 50 yards).

I intended to shoot a five round group, but apparently I lost count while shooting and turned out it was four. Ah well! next time. Was excited as this is definitely my best with this rifle so far at 50 yards. I'm glad I got things figured as I'm hoping to attend a rendezvous this next weekend and do the trail shoot. So at least I know the rifle is shooting pretty straight with this load and patch combo (.490 ball, 60grains 3f, and .020 ticking). Now the trick will be the offhand shooting on the trail :) .

Good going. I hate shooting paper targets from a bench, I know it has to be done to get sighted in, but I always think I could do a little better. A little friendly competition at the rondy or some small game hunting builds up the accuracy and skill level.

Nine times out of ten, when a well made FL rifle does not deliver top notch accuracy, it is not caused by a major problem but by some small thing that you're doing. It can be the hold, loose sights that move just a little when the rifle is fired or something wrong in the food chain. A friend of mine ordered a finished rifle from TVM and he had a problem getting it sighted in and I found that his rear sight could be moved back and forth in the slot with thumb pressure. We lightly peened it in place with a center punch and got it sighted in and then set it in place with the punch and it will now shoot one hole groups @50 yards off the sand bags.

Nice group. I got my TVM to shoot that kind of group at 25 yards first time out with 60 grains of 2FG, .490 ball with a .018 patch. Next time out I will be trying 50 yards & 75 yards

Yeah, 25 yards for me has been generally just fine for me as well. Cloverleaf groups! :). The 50 has been the challenge and at least now I know what I had been doing wrong.

Did you post pictures of your Lancaster? I don't recall. As I think most on here, I always enjoy seeing pictures of longrifles!

walks with gun said:
Good going. I hate shooting paper targets from a bench, I know it has to be done to get sighted in, but I always think I could do a little better. A little friendly competition at the rondy or some small game hunting builds up the accuracy and skill level.

I tend to get stuck shooting from the bench for that reason. I shoot offhand at our clubs monthly shoot. We shoot at steel targets which is great fun! I really need to make a point to practice more offhand though.

Back