• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Colt 1860 disassembly question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lip of the frame where the mainspring makes contact is preventing it from coming out smoothly. I've loosened the mainspring screw but I'm wondering if I should simply remove the mainspring screw instead to remove the mainspring ?

The spring will be under less tension with the hammer down.

Thanks Tom, for the life of me I couldn't slide it out, I used a brass tap and lightly tapped it out. Now as to reassembly and getting that mainsrping underneath the hammer again..
I really like what he did to round the top of that mainspring ( @ 12:53), makes me think it's time to buy a Dremmel tool. Do you have one Tom, if so what do you recommend ?

Or depress the tip with your thumb and move it out from under the hammer. Look here at about 4:50 minutes.

Last edited:
I want to soften the edges slightly of my mainspring like the guy did in the video did, unfortunately he didn't show exactly how.

Last edited:
Beware the dreaded Dremel tool. It is too easy to remove too much and mainsprings are not cheap.
File and emery grit or sand paper and LOT of checking.
Mine slide under with the screw almost out. Careful that is a $15 (out of stock) part.

Sometimes the springs are a bit too long to seat properly without removing the screw. I have trimmed them down a tad and rounded and smoothed the edges. That way it slips under the frame.

Be careful and don’t remove too much or the mainspring will be too short and when you cook the gun the spring will snap off the roller and seize everything.

before you start to take a gun apart get a good set of GUNSMITH screwdrivers.
The slot in gun screws are parallel sided and need a hollow ground blade.
Brownell's Magnatip blades #180-3, 240-2, and 300-1 will work best on the screws in Italian made guns. Those screws are soft and first disassembly can be hard, so be careful.
Don't bugger the screws on an expensive gun for the want of $20 worth of lifetime tools.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

That sounds pretty good to me Bunk. Looking at the vid it's easy to understand why it 'takes a while'. One man shop, one man operation, so many hours in a given day where sleep, food and maybe a full time job are part of the calculation.
How does an 1860 Army with 300+ rounds with out a cap jam sound?
Bunk

Latest posts

Back