• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another charcoal question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhombre

36 Cl.
Reaction score
For those of you who make your own charcoal. I have read through the archived posts on making willow charcoal and the one thing never mentioned is, Does it matter if you use Summer Green, Winter dormant or Standing dead willow? Where I live there is a lot of standing dead willow and aspen. Thanks

I normally cut mine during summer in leaf, strip the bark , let it dry in the shed till winter or the next. Then cook it.

Swiss says they cut it in the spring when the sap is rising so they get the maximum amount of carbohydrates in it. It is the sugars and creosote that is what is giving the power.

I have never given it much thought, when I need charcoal, I just cook it. Never saw much difference in quality, because I believe charcoal is charcoal.

Cut in the spring when the sap has begun to rise which makes it easier to remove the bark, and you do not want charcoaled bark. I understand this is what the suppliers to the Swiss and French do and sell the bark to use the tannin.

For those of you who make your own charcoal. I have read through the archived posts on making willow charcoal and the one thing never mentioned is, Does it matter if you use Summer Green, Winter dormant or Standing dead willow? Where I live there is a lot of standing dead willow and aspen. Thanks
Its best if it has seasoned a bit ,couple month at least ...

Back