• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another cannon build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmaser

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just completed this project after about a year of intermittant work between gunbuilding and blacksmithing projects. It sports a 2" bore and can put a babbit ball through a 12" tree. It is built entirely from scratch, tube, carriage and wheels, right down to the swab bucket. No store bought parts were used, except for some white oak lumber from the neighbor's saw mill. Total cost, as I can best recall, was about $40.00
cannon2.jpg

cannon1.jpg

Looks good! It's been a while since I've seen somebody do 7 fellies & 14 spokes. Does it have consistant accuracy?
Paul

Longsmoke, That's a tough question. I use what I refer to as a weld/cast construction for all of my large barrels. I stack heavy walled high pressure pipe, one inside the other, with holes drilled in the sides, plug welded to maintain spacing. The breech plug is machined and cross pinned and welded on. The spaces between the stacked pipe are then filled with molten iron from my smelting furnace after the barrel skeleton is red hot, standing upright in a large fire. The exterior is then welded or ground to shape.
Im sure some will frown on my methods, but I have gone to great pains to try to blow one of the tubes up. I have never been able to create a failure using black powder. I've never tried to fail one with smokless powder.

Moose in Canoe, It's my understanding that the old timers almost always used 14 spokes and 7 fellows for this size wheel ( 36" ).
The accuracy is pretty good for a smooth bore. I've only shot at 100 yrds, so far, and hit a 4' x 4' target pretty regularly. I'm going to take it out to the farm soon and see what it'll do at longer ranges.

Latest posts

Back