• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another blanket question, origin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Picked up a white wool blanket at a local Army/Navy store today. I have been considering it for a while, they have (had) 2 white ones, the other had a tag that said it is British, but had the remains of an iron-on type U.S.N. and logo on it. You know, those bits of weird rubbery plastic when an old concert t-short starts to break down.
I may go back for that one too. Neither had the usual tag saying what percentage wool they are but both feel good, this one felt better. The only identifying characteristics are the thin dark lines woven across the center, and an odd cream colored 90 degree angle embroidered near one corner (see pics). It is an odd size too. 68" across the dark lines by roughly 65" (I couldn't get a good measurement in that direction with it on the clothesline) will get a better measurement when I can lay it out flat.

20200110_160905.jpg 20200110_160824.jpg 20200110_160929.jpg
Anyone have any ideas on make or origin?
Once I got it home and unfolded, it is nicer than I thought. I was going to use it for my hunter orange matchcoat project, but it now seems too nice to try to dye obnoxious orange. If anyone has ideas on how to get the remains of the old logo off that other blanket, it will get that one and dye it. Saving this one for a more historically correct white wool blanket.

You can try to comb it off, or maybe a stiff brush..

It looks like a nice thick blanket, I’ve got a couple gray ones.

I was told they were Swedish made..

The one with the two narrow stripes down the middle were sold through the surplus dealers many years ago as a British hospital blanket. The lines on mine are dark blue, and I'm assuming yours is of the same batch of blankets, even though it's not the same color.

Back