• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another bird hunt and something new

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will make this short. I had a 7 pound poodle who thought she was a pointer. did well with quail, not so well with pheasant [too big] and hilariously with sage grouse. Grab a wing and drag. She loved everything about hunting and fishing, lived to be 17 years old.. Great little friend and companion. Polecat

Just got this guy on Saturday. He’s a big ball of energy.
010647A2-B700-4FEC-B278-97E07F9670E4.jpeg

Well the pup and I were back at the club earlier this week. Previously, we worked on the “whoa” command. It paid off and then some. She will point and I approach. As I get near her if she loosens up at all I say “whoa” and she tightens up. Then, cock hammers and proceed to flush bird. Shoot and check dog status. If she moves, another “whoa”. If she moves a lot, pick her up and do the “whoa” drill again. Interesting thing happened. Towards the end of the day the dog was stopping, er….”whoa-ing” when I cocked the hammers. I tested this several times since. She’s made the connection. Click-click, she stops and steadies up. Another minor change….in powder. I used the same 1-oz square load (20b) and wad sequence but switched to Pyrodex RS. No decernable difference in performance. She pointed 5 coveys of quail and 6 singles. I did not shoot at the singles. Also pointed 9 partridge, and I shot at 8 (one was headed towards a farm implement that could have been peppered). I missed twice all morning. This little dog and little shotgun and getting along with me just fine.View attachment 101358View attachment 101358View attachment 101359
Great day out.Spark.. Nice looking Hound. Keep up the training. A life with out dogs is not a life.
Havng trained Lab's and Others ( See Avatar) for more than Half my Octogarian life, when you start as a new handler with a new dog, The first two words you have to learn are-"NO" and Ba-t-rd !!" We over here Use "HUP" (old Hold Up) not Woah
From then on every thing should "Goo On" --then , GIVE.. Once is enough any more is a Fail. Your word is LAW ..Very OLD DOG..

Great day out.Spark.. Nice looking Hound. Keep up the training. A life with out dogs is not a life.
Havng trained Lab's and Others ( See Avatar) for more than Half my Octogarian life, when you start as a new handler with a new dog, The first two words you have to learn are-"NO" and Ba-t-rd !!" We over here Use "HUP" (old Hold Up) not Woah
From then on every thing should "Goo On" --then , GIVE.. Once is enough any more is a Fail. Your word is LAW ..Very OLD DOG..
My pup was the boss of his litter. He's having a hard time leaving behind his boss tendencies. I'm nice but firm, SWMBO is aptly named.

Last edited:
I guess that I will never know the answer, to is the left hammer screw missing?? OH WELL.

I have had only been able to bird hunt once with a dog. It was a positive experience!! So cool!

Iv got my brittany 5yrs ago i trained her whoa at food and water bowl. She the best dog iv ever had loves birds

Brits are great bird dogs. Mine is a year old this month.

Had a male when I was a teenager that was a serious hunter. He would lock up on point while crawling under a log. I never seemed to need to use the whoa command.

Jeff

Attachments

• Britney.jpg
    Britney.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 28
Back