• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE ANOTHER BALL STARTER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you hit the sprue on the ball with a short starter, it does not care if it's round or flat.

INCREDIBLE starter sir!

Just waiting for the clowns to show up to loudly proclaim “but starters aren’t period!” YEAH RIGHT. Between this and multiple other sources such as the works of Ned Robert’s I think we can put that myth to rest!

Based on this information provided on this forum by Spence 10 on 5-27-17:
_Scloppetaria:_ by Capt. Henry Beaufroy, 1808 [Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufroy], originally published as “Scloppetaria, by a Corporal of Riflemen”
https://books.google.com/books?id=...BwMQ6AEIUTAN#v=onepage&q=scloppetaria&f=false

Here's his rammer.
rammer-zpsd54c2bc0-3.jpg

I made this one which is an approximate rendition of it.

thumbnail-12.jpg

thumbnail-11.jpg

I have been using short starters of this type for quite a while now and find they work very well. This starter is made of curly maple and 3/8" solid brass rod. The rod is pinned to the "handle" with a brass rod. I will ship this to you for $18.50. I prefer PayPal F & F. Thanks for looking.
Allan
Would a3/8 aluminum work just as well

[QUOTE="L W Smith, post: 1771258, member: 32687"
[/QUOTE]
What would be the problem with using aluminum 3/8 rod versus brass ?

Seeing as how I was trying to make a reasonable rendition of an historical item, I felt it would be more correct to use materials available in the late 18th or early 19th centuries. And also:

Discovery of aluminum was announced in 1825 by Danish physicist Hans Christian Ørsted, whose work was extended by German chemist Friedrich Wöhler.
Aluminium was difficult to refine and thus uncommon in actual usage. Soon after its discovery, the price of aluminium exceeded that of gold. It was only reduced after the initiation of the first industrial production by French chemist Henri Étienne Sainte-Claire Deville in 1856. Aluminium became much more available to the public with the Hall–Héroult process developed independently by French engineer Paul Héroult and American engineer Charles Martin Hall in 1886, and the Bayer process developed by Austrian chemist Carl Joseph Bayer in 1889. These processes have been used for aluminium production up to the present.

Back