• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FOR SALE ANOTHER BALL STARTER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Based on this information provided on this forum by Spence 10 on 5-27-17:
_Scloppetaria:_ by Capt. Henry Beaufroy, 1808 [Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufroy], originally published as “Scloppetaria, by a Corporal of Riflemen”
https://books.google.com/books?id=...BwMQ6AEIUTAN#v=onepage&q=scloppetaria&f=false

Here's his rammer.
rammer-zpsd54c2bc0-3.jpg

I made this one which is an approximate rendition of it.

thumbnail-12.jpg

thumbnail-11.jpg

I have been using short starters of this type for quite a while now and find they work very well. This starter is made of curly maple and 3/8" solid brass rod. The rod is pinned to the "handle" with a brass rod. I will ship this to you for $18.50. I prefer PayPal F & F. Thanks for looking.
Allan

I can’t see what one could do with having 10-32 threads in a ball starter. It’s too short to reach even a pistol breach.. much less a 42” rifle barrel..?

I believe they're talking about threading a jag into the end of the starter just to give more surface area for starting a really large ball. It would have nothing to do with cleaning or anything.

I believe they're talking about threading a jag into the end of the starter just to give more surface area for starting a really large ball. It would have nothing to do with cleaning or anything.
Never thought of that.... but I’m ok with it not being threaded. I can always thread it myself if I decided to later on..thumbs up!

you have rely hit on something that has a place in our hobby, and it is historically correct.

How important is it for the dimple in the end of the rod to be an exact curve to fit the ball you want to start?

Back