• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Another Accessory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across this accessory which I think was part of the Military soldiers kit which he carried on the battle field . I believe it is Knapping tool carried by a soldier but maybe some member may have a different opinion it is 5 inch's in length with a serrated hammer head and screw driver on the opposite end also a pin for loosing the top jaw screw and a touchhole prick which has lost its point
Feltwad
100_4066.JPG

Not much interest in this thread remove it moderator , thought it would have been a good talking point
Feltwad

Just saw it, so please don’t remove it.
It looks old but can you give us some history on it?
Where did you get it, ect.
A old flintlock knapping tool from the 17th century which would have been used in the field , I would say by the military for their Brown Bess muskets or any other large weapons such has flint lock punt guns and bank guns , I bought this in auction ..
Feltwad
100_4068.JPG

Does it have any marks on it? Almost every thing the king owned got a kings mark. I don’t know if that’s true for small tools.
Had a good look cannot see any regimental marks or private marks .
Feltwad

These impliments where offerered by Major Noel Corry or Weller & Dufties, one of such firms anyway who hauled stuff out of remote places like Kurdistan or NW India.Described as 'Tamaracks' and is a knapping ect accessory. Not English though . Wouldn't bet me boots on it but that's what I believe it is.
Regards Rudyard

These impliments where offerered by Major Noel Corry or Weller & Dufties, one of such firms anyway who hauled stuff out of remote places like Kurdistan or NW India.Described as 'Tamaracks' and is a knapping ect accessory. Not English though . Wouldn't bet me boots on it but that's what I believe it is.
Regards Rudyard
Well you be right never seen any in Noel Corrys catalogues .
Feltwad

Dear Felt Wad .I've never seen them in his catalogues or recall them but vaigely , Who ever offered them its what they are I believe. In the same way they should be found in huge quantities since most any gun needed one or some such .But how many Enfield combination tools, muzzle tompions, , chained snap caps, every Enfield MLs had. But you don't see them very often. Ime not amadent over them but I believe I am in these tools correct
.Regards Rudyard

Does it have any marks on it? Almost every thing the king owned got a kings mark. I don’t know if that’s true for small tools.
I have a couple of copper sheathing nails from a Royal Navy ship…. Broad Arrow marked. They stamped everything. I`ll have to find those.

Dear Felt Wad .I've never seen them in his catalogues or recall them but vaigely , Who ever offered them its what they are I believe. In the same way they should be found in huge quantities since most any gun needed one or some such .But how many Enfield combination tools, muzzle tompions, , chained snap caps, every Enfield MLs had. But you don't see them very often. Ime not amadent over them but I believe I am in these tools correct
.Regards Rudyard

The reason why they are not found in huge numbers is possibly because while that IS a tool for a flintlock lock..., it may NOT be for a musket or rifle.

Might I suggest, based on the very large size of the "pricks" that are attached to the ring on the tool, (OK I admit I'm assuming those are some sort of touch hole prick) that what Feltwad has there is a Gunner's Mate Tool for servicing a British Naval Artillery Lock for the flint?? (Could also be used on land artillery) 🤔

IF my Scientific Wild Arsed Guess is correct [SWAG]..., that's even more cool than when first presented!

CANNON LOCKS.jpg

Here is a stock photo of such a lock attached to a wood mock-up of a portion of a 30 lb. naval cannon. NOTE this mounting position was done in case of a problem, and a backup system of a slow match could be applied and still fire the gun

CANNON LOCK ON GUN.JPG

That's my theory and I'm stikin' to it! :D

LD

Last edited:
Dave beat me too it, I was thinking along the same line being five inches in length with the ring and added accessories I would think a bit large too be carried bye a foot solider.

I have enclosed some images which will give the size compared to flask size which I think will not be too large for a soldiers kit . Has for the attachments the larger one maybe a touchhole prick for a cannon but I still think it is a tool for loosing the top jaw screw which is minus a screw driver slot
Feltwad

100_4100.JPG

100_4102.JPG

100_4103.JPG

Quite how the British Navy gets into the act ? .But I doubt its anything Government the short round item would more likely be to tighten the top jaw screw I think its a' tabarac & not European. but I wouldn't worry if it turned out to be a Mongolian key fob.
I wrote the above before you new pics we agree entirely the other thin bit likely a vent pick that broke of short .Nice flask all your stuff is nice come to that .
Regards
Rudyard

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back