Another Accessory

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across this accessory which I think was part of the Military soldiers kit which he carried on the battle field . I believe it is Knapping tool carried by a soldier but maybe some member may have a different opinion it is 5 inch's in length with a serrated hammer head and screw driver on the opposite end also a pin for loosing the top jaw screw and a touchhole prick which has lost its point
Feltwad
100_4066.JPG

Pietro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IDK about it being military, but it's surely a flint knapping tool for use in the field.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Not much interest in this thread remove it moderator , thought it would have been a good talking point
Feltwad

Leadball loader

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not much interest in this thread remove it moderator , thought it would have been a good talking point
Feltwad
The question might be asked as to what gun it might have been made as an accessory for.
Ever see one for British service guns?
LBL

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw it, so please don’t remove it.
It looks old but can you give us some history on it?
Where did you get it, ect.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just saw it, so please don’t remove it.
It looks old but can you give us some history on it?
Where did you get it, ect.
A old flintlock knapping tool from the 17th century which would have been used in the field , I would say by the military for their Brown Bess muskets or any other large weapons such has flint lock punt guns and bank guns , I bought this in auction ..
Feltwad
100_4068.JPG

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Does it have any marks on it? Almost every thing the king owned got a kings mark. I don’t know if that’s true for small tools.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does it have any marks on it? Almost every thing the king owned got a kings mark. I don’t know if that’s true for small tools.
Had a good look cannot see any regimental marks or private marks .
Feltwad

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
These impliments where offerered by Major Noel Corry or Weller & Dufties, one of such firms anyway who hauled stuff out of remote places like Kurdistan or NW India.Described as 'Tamaracks' and is a knapping ect accessory. Not English though . Wouldn't bet me boots on it but that's what I believe it is.
Regards Rudyard

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
These impliments where offerered by Major Noel Corry or Weller & Dufties, one of such firms anyway who hauled stuff out of remote places like Kurdistan or NW India.Described as 'Tamaracks' and is a knapping ect accessory. Not English though . Wouldn't bet me boots on it but that's what I believe it is.
Regards Rudyard
Well you be right never seen any in Noel Corrys catalogues .
Feltwad

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear Felt Wad .I've never seen them in his catalogues or recall them but vaigely , Who ever offered them its what they are I believe. In the same way they should be found in huge quantities since most any gun needed one or some such .But how many Enfield combination tools, muzzle tompions, , chained snap caps, every Enfield MLs had. But you don't see them very often. Ime not amadent over them but I believe I am in these tools correct
.Regards Rudyard

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple of copper sheathing nails from a Royal Navy ship…. Broad Arrow marked. They stamped everything. I`ll have to find those.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Felt Wad .I've never seen them in his catalogues or recall them but vaigely , Who ever offered them its what they are I believe. In the same way they should be found in huge quantities since most any gun needed one or some such .But how many Enfield combination tools, muzzle tompions, , chained snap caps, every Enfield MLs had. But you don't see them very often. Ime not amadent over them but I believe I am in these tools correct
.Regards Rudyard
The reason why they are not found in huge numbers is possibly because while that IS a tool for a flintlock lock..., it may NOT be for a musket or rifle.

Might I suggest, based on the very large size of the "pricks" that are attached to the ring on the tool, (OK I admit I'm assuming those are some sort of touch hole prick) that what Feltwad has there is a Gunner's Mate Tool for servicing a British Naval Artillery Lock for the flint?? (Could also be used on land artillery) 🤔

IF my Scientific Wild Arsed Guess is correct [SWAG]..., that's even more cool than when first presented!

CANNON LOCKS.jpg

Here is a stock photo of such a lock attached to a wood mock-up of a portion of a 30 lb. naval cannon. NOTE this mounting position was done in case of a problem, and a backup system of a slow match could be applied and still fire the gun

CANNON LOCK ON GUN.JPG

That's my theory and I'm stikin' to it! :D

LD

Last edited:

appalichian hunter

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Dave beat me too it, I was thinking along the same line being five inches in length with the ring and added accessories I would think a bit large too be carried bye a foot solider.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have enclosed some images which will give the size compared to flask size which I think will not be too large for a soldiers kit . Has for the attachments the larger one maybe a touchhole prick for a cannon but I still think it is a tool for loosing the top jaw screw which is minus a screw driver slot
Feltwad

100_4100.JPG

100_4102.JPG

100_4103.JPG

Rudyard

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Quite how the British Navy gets into the act ? .But I doubt its anything Government the short round item would more likely be to tighten the top jaw screw I think its a' tabarac & not European. but I wouldn't worry if it turned out to be a Mongolian key fob.
I wrote the above before you new pics we agree entirely the other thin bit likely a vent pick that broke of short .Nice flask all your stuff is nice come to that .
Regards
Rudyard

Last edited: